Whats the best way to introduce new cichlids into an agressive community?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
I post pretty much the same stuff over there, its nice to get all the info I can on whatever questions I have. Most of the guys over there are pretty cool, Ive actually found in most cases the guys over there to be less judgemental on average than some of the people here. While I appreciate the back and fourth Ive had with the other members here in this thread, I have taken consiterably more jabs in the past over here for my choice of community than over at MFK as a whole.:confused: Usually if I ask a question pertaining to mixing africans and americans over there they will advise me to the best of their ability while on this website Ill post the same thing the 1st reply I usually get is wtf are you thinking, all your fish are gonna be dead or something eluding to that only worded differently. On average of course. Again I appreciate the maturity thats being shown to me here on this thread.
I wasn't trying to be rude to you, and my issue is not about mixing African and American cichlids, the issue is also incompatibility based on simpler things such as adult size of some of the fish mentioned. The mbunas have different diet requirements that will result in problems (i.e. bloat) if fed incorrectly.

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
I wasn't trying to be rude to you, and my issue is not about mixing African and American cichlids, the issue is also incompatibility based on simpler things such as adult size of some of the fish mentioned. The mbunas have different diet requirements that will result in problems (i.e. bloat) if fed incorrectly.
Oh no no, no offense taken whatsoever, I was just commenting on past experience is all:)

Ben_Jam_In

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
The best thing i could give you is reranging your tank again, or try to get larger cichlids or grow then out. good luck

Tongue33

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
Well With all the species you have in there, it is a toss up as to if it will work. If you can add fish and keep them alive... If you can keep all the different species together permanantly..

Anytime you have a Jag and a RD or any other fish with these two species.. it is a toss up... They can be highly unpredictable given different sets of circumstances...

And history has both as aggressive or capable of mass aggression.. But also I have seen many many set ups work like yours... For long periods of time.. Still.. Maybe you are fully stocked...

Not really up to me to decide for you.. b ut If I were going to attempt more stock in that tank.. I would add a few at a time at least...

And both Jag and RD are known for eating fish ;)

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Just for the record in case anyone ever wondered, Ive tried in the past unsuccessfully to integrate some larger fish with the Red Devil (Severum, Oscar, etc) with disasterous results, the devil and jag accept new smaller african's much more graciously than they do other large species of fish. They dont even pay the africans in the tank any mind at all but if I put other large fish in there with them, thats what really seems to set off the devil into homicidal mode. By the way, the guy in the other thread that thought a labeo was a giant goldfish LMAO!!!!!!

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
Just for the record in case anyone ever wondered, Ive tried in the past unsuccessfully to integrate some larger fish with the Red Devil (Severum, Oscar, etc) with disasterous results, the devil and jag accept new smaller african's much more graciously than they do other large species of fish. They dont even pay the africans in the tank any mind at all but if I put other large fish in there with them, thats what really seems to set off the devil into homicidal mode.

Oscars and sevs are pretty docile, and your jag and RD are pretty established already. Is there any chance you could house those 2 somewhere else? otherwise it is not a terrible stocklist other than the dietary issues with the mbuna

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store