What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
SoCalSunset:

I might just happen to be out on errands at the time, oops im not a very good fish keeper and therefore didn't know which were males and which were females so i couldn't appropriately divide them?

Also i was wondering, anyone who has the GloFish Zebra Danios and other "regular" Zebra Danios, how do they get along, will the regulars school around with their GM friends? Can fish even associate color and such?

Just curious :huh:

Last edited:

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
SoCalSunset:

I might just happen to be out on errands at the time, oops im not a very good fish keeper and therefore didn't know which were males and which were females so i couldn't appropriately divide them?
That's okay, I hear Glofish's legal department is really helpful when it comes to that lol j/k

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
SoCalSunset:

Also i was wondering, anyone who has the GloFish Zebra Danios and other "regular" Zebra Danios, how do they get along, will the regulars school around with their GM friends? Can fish even associate color and such?

Just curious :huh:
I have red danios, and zebra danios
they are doing GREAT, and IMO there is nothing wrong with red danios,....

ziddyziddy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
i think they are hurendous and revolting! Fish are animals they are expose to look natural!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beleive they are danios and ive heard tehy inject them with colored jellyfish DNA or something and they arent always pink! i think that its mean and they are ugly...

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i think they are hurendous and revolting! Fish are animals they are expose to look natural!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beleive they are danios and ive heard tehy inject them with colored jellyfish DNA or something and they arent always pink! i think that its mean and they are ugly...
they arent injected. that would be dyeing. these fish are born this way. their DNA has been chemically altered.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Well ziddy, you should always research the subject before forming an opinion on it. If you don't, that makes you prejudice.

Colored/dyed/injected fish have not have their DNA colored, however what they have gone through is *horrendous, I agree.

These genetically altered danios are all captive bred, and they originate from embryos that were indeed injected with jellyfish DNA in order to fluoresce. Not very cruel IMO, but inherently unnatural.

When mixed together, I think it looks ugly. But if kept seperated, a tank full of only one color, could look really neat IMO.

jm1212 said:
recently ive seen green and purple zebra danios in addition to the red ones. i wonder what they have in them, because they glow

Are you sure that you saw purple? If so are you sure it was a real GloFish not a cruel painted or dyed fish?

What colors of GloFish® fluorescent fish are currently available?
Our fish are currently available in Starfire Red™, Sunburst Orange™, and Electric Green™.
That would indicate that there are no Purples on sale yet.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store