What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlbxjlb

Registered Member
Oct 16, 2006
I can personally attest to the fact that they are not sterile. I bought 3 little glofish to go in a little 5-gal, to keep in my little apartment. They were happy for about 2 days until I accidentally killed them (evidently I didn't add enough conditioner to deal with the chloramine). I was going to go back and get replacements at the end of the week, but before I got the chance I noticed a bunch of little glass-like squiggly things at the top of the tank. I have since set up a 12-gal to give me more room to grow out the 80 or so fish I have now. They are definitely fun to watch, especially so many of them together, but they sure are growing. Not quite sure what to do with them all. The neatest part is that about 1/4 of them are albino.

bblboy54

AC Members
Sep 7, 2004
Ashburn, VA
www.bibleboy.org
bettagurl said:
the only place i have seen them is a place in richmond VA,BTW,what free services do you offer?
We have them at our store (Fox Mill Pets - Herndon, VA). I am very against painted fish but there are no ill effects that I have ever seen with the GloFish and they certainly do not go through any pain. Maybe they are toying with nature but if people want non-natural fish, I'd so much rather them do it the GloFish was rather than injection. I recently had a bunch of painted tetras come in and my co-workers were laughing at me because I nearly cried when I saw them.

On the east coast, these fish tend to be A LOT more expensive than near the California area.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
I have seen Glo-Fish from $3 - $7 each. The $3 was at Wal-Mart. Prices should come down over time. I believe they are raised in Florida, so they SHOULD be cheapest here.

Are they any more unnatural than a betta, a fancy guppy, a ballon lyretail molly or a blood red parrot cichlid? People have been genetically manipulating animals for centuries; this is just a bit more high-tech.

They look too radioactive for my taste, but they may be a good alternative for someone who wants bright colors in a small schooling fish and for whatever reason has bad luck with cardinals or neons.

Last edited:

dvd_wightman

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
Springfield, New Jersey
from what I have heard, glowfish are injected fish that are often used in labs. It is a dye injected in the eggs that makes them glow. I am against it. This is because I have heard it hurts the fish, and shortens their life span.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
You heard wrong. They carry a gene from another species that allows them to naturally synthesize the fluorescent pigment. The gene is passed on from generation to generation in the same manner as the rest.

I saw $10/ glofish (all 3 colors) last week. I may get some, but not at that price.

bblboy54

AC Members
Sep 7, 2004
Ashburn, VA
www.bibleboy.org
Squawkbert said:
You heard wrong. They carry a gene from another species that allows them to naturally synthesize the fluorescent pigment. The gene is passed on from generation to generation in the same manner as the rest.
I havent confirmed any of this but I was told that they use some type of DNA from Jellyfish. I repeat, do not take that as truth as I havent confirmed, but it does sound plausible.

They are definately NOT injected, however, they may have a shorter lifespan than most danios but all fish have different lifespans so you can't say because a certain fish has a shorter life that it is being harmed.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson
I think they look cool. They now have three colors available. I think there is lots of misinformation out there about them.

Here is a web site: http://www.glofish.com/

Here is a a very good about page from that site: http://www.glofish.com/about.asp

I have not read everything on there. There is lots of information.

I think if someone wants Glofish, then have Glofish. I see nothing wrong from shopping at a store that sells Glofish. The fish store I saw them at had them set up away from the other fish. They might have had special lighting on them. I am not sure if they were required to do this to be a re-seller of Glofish or not.

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
there is die injected into there eggs, it's not natural so i wood sujest not getting them and hope the fadd ends soon, it's just ginetically wwrong in my opinion. this strategy is used to make more mony and harms the fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store