Where is my cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Whisker Wrangle

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Ok.. brand new 36 gallon.

Started cycling 2 weeks ago today. Dosed ammonia to 5 ppm... Ammonia stayed at this level for a little over a week then it finally dropped. I checked the water conditions yesterday and they were:

Ammonia -- 0 ppm
Nitrite -- 2 ppm
Nitrate -- 20 ppm

So I redosed the ammonia to 3 ppm and retested today and the conditions are:

Ammonia -- 2 ppm
Nitrite -- 0 ppm
Nitrate -- 40 ppm

So is that really enough nitrate (40 ppm) this early in the cycle to be fully cycled??

Never got a huge spike in nitrites.. I am just kinda lost now as to where I am in my cycling process...

Sorry for making another thread about this... :wall:

Thank you so much for yalls help!

SumTinsFishy

Vampire Pleco??
Nov 3, 2009
Fennville, Michigan
Real Name
Joel
IMO your best bet is to wait til your levels all go back down to zero. Then add in a couple starter fish, and keep an eye on your levels. You might go through the cycle again or you might not or you might just have another really quick one.

Whisker Wrangle

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Oh and a quick update... I just rechecked the water conditions again (I checked earlier today at about 10 am, 11 hours ago) and here are the results:

ammonia -- 0.5 ppm
nitrite -- 0 ppm
nitrate -- 40 ppm

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Plants will always help with a cycle, so maybe you just got very lucky!!!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
IMO your best bet is to wait til your levels all go back down to zero. Then add in a couple starter fish, and keep an eye on your levels. You might go through the cycle again or you might not or you might just have another really quick one.
Point of fishless cycling is to create a sufficient bacterial colony to fully stock from the outset.

Whisker Wrangle

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
What kind of filtration are you using?
I have two HOB's. Aqueon quietflow 30 and a Penguin 150 biowheel.

I guess what I will do is check the levels when I get home. Do a large water change (75%??). Add new water with dechlorinator. Redose ammonia to 5 ppm. Then recheck levels in 24 hours. If ammonia is 0 after this time do another large water change, add water then add fish. Does that sound right? Is a 75% change too much or about right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store