Where oh where has everyone gone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Almost all of the folks who were around back then wandered elsewhere. I miss them, too. When I was doing facebook I'd see a few. Since flashchat was dropped, even more quit coming around. AC's going through a downswing in the posting cycle. It'll pick back up when school lets out.

Old posts get recycled sometimes. I think rock with purple string was resurrected briefly last year.

Mark

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I blame it all on the Brits and Canooks......

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Almost all of the folks who were around back then wandered elsewhere. I miss them, too. When I was doing facebook I'd see a few. Since flashchat was dropped, even more quit coming around. AC's going through a downswing in the posting cycle. It'll pick back up when school lets out.

Old posts get recycled sometimes. I think rock with purple string was resurrected briefly last year.

Mark
I think a bit of rejuvenation is in order Mark :)

Contests that haven't been run for years, but still have forums that are active just give the impression of a ghost town. Not having a symbol of active leadership doesn't help much either. Having a Mafia thread that monopolizes all forum activity doesn't give the impression to newcomers that this is a place for aquarists.

Personally I'm getting most of my fish-related conversation and interactions in meatspace now. I guess I've turned into one of the aforementioned old men over 50 years old :)

but...

I'll see if I can remember some old threads to revive if you'd like though ;) are you sure it'd help?

I blame it all on the Brits
Guilty!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I ditto the active leadership....kind of sad when you contact admin here and never get a response. Or they get directed to FB. Activity is a funny thing...most want it, but don't post.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I think a bit of rejuvenation is in order Mark :)

Contests that haven't been run for years, but still have forums that are active just give the impression of a ghost town. Not having a symbol of active leadership doesn't help much either. Having a Mafia thread that monopolizes all forum activity doesn't give the impression to newcomers that this is a place for aquarists.

Personally I'm getting most of my fish-related conversation and interactions in meatspace now. I guess I've turned into one of the aforementioned old men over 50 years old :)

but...

I'll see if I can remember some old threads to revive if you'd like though ;) are you sure it'd help?

Guilty!
Not sure if rehashing would increase participation but it couldn't hurt. I really wish we had a better chat format. While the chat participants were here they posted in the forums.

I don't remember other contests aside from the tank-of-the-month/year. Feel free to suggest some...again; couldn't hurt.

Welcome to the over 50 club :/

Mark

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I ditto the active leadership....kind of sad when you contact admin here and never get a response. Or they get directed to FB. Activity is a funny thing...most want it, but don't post.
The problem with being the activity is that it takes more than one... otherwise you could just be doing it alone in your bedroom ;)

My understanding is that AC/MAN/MFK/AP is a for profit organization... surely paying more attention to the community, or empowering someone else to do it in their stead would be beneficial.

AC comes up high up lots of fish-related googling, but unless there's a compelling reason for people to stick around they are likely to find that they can get a more active community on Facebook and stop coming around any more.

Que Sera, Sera

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not sure if rehashing would increase participation but it couldn't hurt. I really wish we had a better chat format. While the chat participants were here they posted in the forums.
There's a chat????? ;)

I don't remember other contests aside from the tank-of-the-month/year. Feel free to suggest some...again; couldn't hurt.
There was tank and photo of the month/year... but when the last ones were in 2011, it doesn't really give the impression of an active community. more of a mothballed archive.

Welcome to the over 50 club :/
I'm actually not ;) just feels that way sometimes. But at least I was convincing :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store