which catfish you have and why

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I have cories (C. aeneus) because I like the colour, Albino :D and upside down catfishes (Synodontis nigriventris; I like their way of swimming around, very unusual... and as Cory Lover said, their big eyes :))

ljse

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
Otos beacuase they are fun to watch. Clown pleco because it is a great looking fish.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
I added two plecos to a pond I dug in the back yard, as algae control. I noticed them again when they hit six inches and I started reading up on the fish. Winter was coming, and they would'nt have survived it, so I got them a tank. Then a huge tank. Then some more plecos. Then some other stuff. Then another tank.

I keep mostly plecos because of their good looks and personality. My common plecos not only like to be hand fed, they like to be pet, and stick their little suckermouth faces out of the water for nose loving. I just think that's the coolest thing in fishkeeping.

vanimate

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Chicago (NS)
Of all my catfish this guy is truly my favorite!

tig.jpg

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
SA Redtail - because I fell into the same trap everyone else does: didn't know much about fish, saw the guy feed it, thought it was cool, bought it. Now I know that it's going to grow to a max of 4ft-ish, I've hand fed it for the last few months and have successfully introduced it with other fish, including recently some bite-sized pond goldfish that he doesn't bother with at all.

Unclassified vampirish pleco - was small enough for my 30 with the SA Redtail, and big enough not to fit in his mouth, and he was cheap ($15 CAD at about 7" long.) Now the two of them share the same resting spots, often one on top of the other.

Striped Raphael - because the wife likes them!

Soon I'll be adding some type of juvenile pleco to the 35 with the africans to clean up the rocks and such.

Hevydevy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2006
synodontis euruptus - wanted an algae eater that didn't grow too big and was peaceful.

He's still only young and I don't see him much yet - hangs around in his cave a lot. The Cichlids are the ones that greet me when I go to feed them.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
6 Cory's of various types, 5 oto's in the community tank, 2 BN and one clown plec in the angel tank, and Ralph the Wonder Plec in the JD tank.

All normally happy munching away on the algea and/or wafers, or in the case of the plecs and oto's stuck to the tank side hangin' out!

parker21104

AC Members
Dec 31, 2006
sa red tail cat

Just do to their size they are capable of getting and his personality I can hand feed him and he will come up and hangout by my hand whenever I am cleaning the tank. Just beware of the sa rtc mine just ate my 10" atf.

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
featherfin syno, albino cory, otto: adoptions

plecos (including 1 chocolate albino), bronze corys, peppered cory, 3-striped corys, emerald green cory, 2 pictus, 2 bumblebees cause they're neat-o

glass/ghost catfish and upsidedown catfish cause they're really neat-o!

columbian catfish: impluse buys. at least they are 1) still very healthy, and 2) taught me a lesson!! I think we have a good home for them set up though . . .

are chinese algae eaters catfish? if so, 2 of those also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store