Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Betta fish

Votes: 69 60.5%
  • Gouramis

Votes: 45 39.5%

• Total voters

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I like all the different species selections of gouramis available, everything from tiny sparkling gouramis to the giant gouramis.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
bettas have way nicer fins and body, i think gouramis look awkward and unnatural.
haha, have you ever seen a wild betta.

But I picked betta, because there are a thousand plus combinations between finnage and coloration.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
bettas have way nicer fins and body, i think gouramis look awkward and unnatural.
awkward perhaps...but you're saying something like a platinum CT betta is somehow more natural looking than a standard three-spot gourami?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
With the exception of Goldfish the normally seen Betta splendens are among the most unnatural fish around! They've been drastically altered from their normal appearance by selective breeding. Wild Bettas other than splendens get my vote. Try Googling Betta macrostoma, B channoides, B. albimarginata, B. brownorum, B. bellica, B. smaragdina and B. rutilans for a start! And then find a pic of a wild B. splendens. Think about what could be had if the amount of selective breeding put into B. splendens had been put into a fish that was better looking in its natural form!

colematthewmala

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Three Hills, Alberta, Canada
I think bettas look more like fish and not like platters, and yes i have seen a wild betta. I think gouramis look unnatural because of their body shape, that's all.

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
I'm going with bettas. It all started with this lovely little betta named Fred. *sigh* So much personality. Though I am rather fond of honey gouramis.

illgore_trout

AC Members
Apr 13, 2007
I've got two dwarf gouramis (males w/ diff color morphs). I also have one male betta in a separate tank. In certain ways, the gouramis are more aggressive--chasing each other and the other fish frequently, tho nipping rarely.

my betta can't stand being with other fish like many bettas and when integration was attempted, he was king of the jerks. shining brilliantly in near neon anger.

both types have a lot of personality, but the betta seems significantly smarter. maybe because he only interacts with the people outside of the tank, he makes more effort to communicate. his mood seems very apparent most of the time, ranging from mad to content to excited and almost "happy".

much of this is most likely projection. but all the gouramis seem to communicate is their desire to be fed.

i'm kind of undecided on the vote. while i love my betta more because i feel more connected to him, i hate that he can't coexist with other fish. the dwarf gouramis are just big enough for a small tank (approx 15gal), and i like them for that. i vote apple snail.

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Ah come on. This is like trying to choose between cats and dogs. Both species are delightful in their own way.

Also, Illgore Trout (love the name), it may be that bettas and gouramis communicate their desire to be fed in different ways.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i voted bettas. although i'd love to have a kissing gourami some day!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store