Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which do you prefer? Bettas or Gouramis.

• Betta fish

Votes: 69 60.5%
  • Gouramis

Votes: 45 39.5%

• Total voters

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
You know what I think - Betta are Better!

Formally known as Anabantoids - the fish from the Gourami group you speak of, would be more approachable if females were easy to get. I like they way they look, but they never last long in my tanks. Betta are easy to breed (relatively) and can even spawn in community tanks with the odd fry surviving in a well planted aquarium.

Splendens gets a bad rap due to the puppy-mill veil-tail in a cup in most pet chains. There really is a whole world of flavor out there, color, shape and form.

Betta species are pretty cool, but not as personable as the fish "domesticated" for 100 plus years. To me, it is the difference between the domestic dog, and the wolf. One has personality, and the other is a legacy.

The Chinese prefer Gourami - as food.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i voted betta although i keep ending up with ones that die on me right away. i'd love to find one that lives long enough to enjoy it. not sure why, i can keep loaches and just about any other fish alive but bettas never make it.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I never did say which I prefer.

I prefer Bettas because I own one and know about how much personality they have while I don't really know much about Gouramis so I voted for Bettas.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You know what I think - Betta are Better!

Formally known as Anabantoids - the fish from the Gourami group you speak of, would be more approachable if females were easy to get. I like they way they look, but they never last long in my tanks. Betta are easy to breed (relatively) and can even spawn in community tanks with the odd fry surviving in a well planted aquarium.

Splendens gets a bad rap due to the puppy-mill veil-tail in a cup in most pet chains. There really is a whole world of flavor out there, color, shape and form.

Betta species are pretty cool, but not as personable as the fish "domesticated" for 100 plus years. To me, it is the difference between the domestic dog, and the wolf. One has personality, and the other is a legacy.

The Chinese prefer Gourami - as food.
As far as I know gouramis (and all other fish with a labyrinth) are still in the Anabantoidei suborder

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Bettas.....because I am angelic...

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
gouramis. im not a fan of manmade color forms and the natural bettas dont appeal to me either. i like gouramis and their personalities though. their feelers are awesome and its fun to interact with them.

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
Definately Gourami, don't get me wrong, bettas are cool, but the first time i saw a gourami, i was instantly attached, I have yet to own one though, but that's gonna change, soon. =]

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I like both. :goldfish::goldfish:
The last few gouramis I bought from a fish store were awful. The gourami's died within 6-months of purchase, just wasted away to nothing and then died. Also, I can't find female gourami's in the stores. So I have voted for Bettas. I like the variety and colors and the fact that so many people come into the hobby as a result of these pretty little fish.....they are the gateway (drug) fish!!!! I have one male and one female betta and no gourami's. I'd like to have a couple of gourami's though that won't die in a few months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store