Which is a nicer product: Python vs. Aqueon siphon cleaners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I'm trying the Python sink attachment now. The Aqueon one I had didn't really hold up around the threads with repeated attachment/separation since I'm using my kitchen sink.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
The faucet attachments have always worked for me..just didn't care to waste water to get water out of the tank.
+1. I bought a cheap 450gph water pump on eBay and use it to drain water. Much much faster.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I've heard complaints about the faucet attachment on the python, and also heard that a much sturdier replacement part can be picked up at Wal-Mart for a couple $$.

glenngreen

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Real Name
Glenn Green
I found that the "off/on" valve on the bottom of the python's waterbed siphon attachment is fragile. the Aqueon has a ball cock valve that is much better. Also, with either of them I went to Ace Hardware and bought the metal faucet adaptor. Much more durable than the plastic. I found a dishwasher snap disconnector with an aerator built in, so I use that now. The Aqueon snaps on and off easily, and I leave the adaptor / aerator in place.

For larger water changes I sometimes use a pump to speed up the draining and use the Aqueon for the refill. If I am in no hurry, I use the Aqueon pump to get the siphon started and then turn off the water and just let it siphon out. Saves some water that way, but takes a bit longer...

bigwave

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
** Warrning, long message **

I actually never screw or unscrew my python to the faucet. Here is a cool trick.

I use a quick change adapter to attach a hose to a faucet. The male end goes on the sink, the female end on the python. Then I can just snap my python onto the faucet, in about 1 second. No threads to strip or problems to cause. I keep my original sink aerator nearby and swap it out when company comes over so the sink is a bit calmer, but to be honest that only happens rarely. Generally the male quick connect is just fine to use.

1 time I had my python spring a leak, but it was TOTALLY my fault. I plugged it and had too much water pressure behind it at the time. A quick shove and twist and it all went back together and has been perfect since. I think I got it around 5 years ago, but it may be a bit longer than that even.

Also I bought mine because carrying buckets around and accidentally overflowing buckets was becoming a pain.

Since then I have overflowed my tanks 3 times I think. I walk away while they are filling, and start to hear a splasihng noise of water flowing over the lip of the tank. Good times!!! :22_yikes:

Another tip, as long as the sink is lower than your tank, you can start the siphon with the faucet, and then un-hook it, or just leave it there attached and turn the water off. The water will still flow out, just not terribly fast. I am on a well and septic, so I figure I am just putting water back into the ground to suck it back up again, so I don't worry about wasting any.

Sorry for all the comments, but I do like my python!!!

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I've had my python for over 12 years also. I drain tanks out a window. I use the same attachment as bigwave, which stays on the faucet 24/7 (sink is in the garage, so I never have to move it). My python hoses are all original. I've never had one leak, I use the same ball valve it came with 12 years ago. Great product.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I have an Aqueon that someone threw in as part of a craigslist buy since 2 years ago and I don't even bother with the sink draining attachment, I just put a syphon to my bathtub. Although I did replace the plastic sink attachment it had with a more reliable metal one I found at home depot for a dollar. The plastic one kept popping out because the threads had been worn down. Definetely a must have for filling tanks over 20 gallons.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I need 50ft Python to reach all my tanks. I start the syphon at the kitchen sink then drain to the tub. Reattach to faucet for refilling. I don't use it to syphon shrimp tanks, they seem to head right for the tube so I use a vac & buckets & spend some time rescuing shrimplets.
I also clog the drain part with plant debris & either have to pick it out or try to backflush it out. Not quite the miracle I was hoping for but I wouldn't have as many tanks without it.

The aqueon sounds like it may be a bit better but I haven't tried 1 or even seen 1 in person. I've only had my Python for ~2 yrs but nothing is broken yet, hose still clean.

topazmoon62

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
Rougemont, NC
I use the python and I am constantly replacing the faucet thing. I am about to get my 5th one. I wish that it wasn't all plastic. I drain my tanks into my flower beds out front. No wasting fish water here. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store