Why can't you buy guppy females at petland?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SamNYC

How do you define real?
Aug 14, 2008
NYC
I take a trip to petland on 23st in Manhattan and the manager tells me that I can't buy guppy females only. I must buy 2 sets of males and females then return the males at my cost. So, I pay for 4 fish and they get to keep 2 and resell them.
Is it me or what?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Never heard of such ridiculous thing. But if you ever find yourself in CT come see me and I will GIVE you all the guppies you want .....either sex! What I don't have, my neighbor likely does

Sounds like someone is pulling your leg.

SamNYC

How do you define real?
Aug 14, 2008
NYC
Thanks, but I don't think I will make it to ct anytime soon. do you have any rcs?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Never heard of such a thing. I'd call corporate, they are all franchises.

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
Same policy with a store here. Your pair must be male & female, not female & female. The sales clerk told me that it was the breeder's policy. I told her "no thanks" and walked out. I don't understand the logic myself! It was a shame because the females in that tank were beautiful & healthy! I wasn't willing to go through the tackiness of returning the males. That's just me.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
The females tend to be less colorful and harder to sell. If the stores sell only males they end up stuck with a tank of females. So they require pair/trio sales. However, if you look in the feeder tanks you can usually find a number of female guppies. These have not been well cared for so expect to quarantine and nurse back to health with about 50% die off. The surviving females will do well with your quality males in time. They must have several birth episodes to get rid of sperm from other mates. OTOH, you may get some spectacular young from them and the purchase, even at a 50% die off, will be much less costly. The females may not be fancy guppies but will usually input strong genetics into any breeding program.

Charlie

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
my lps has guppies and one male cost more than buying a male and a female...doesn't make much sense to me either but what can you do?

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
personally i dont see the sense in this policy. My lfs does a deal on 4 male guppies, and a deal on 4 female guppies. But it sounds like you went out to buy only female guppies.... and apart from anything else... this potentially leads to interbreeding does it not. As chances are that many of them are related.

anyways as it was my lfs had a tank full of male guppies... and only 2 females so they did me a deal on 2 and 2. to which i got 2 beautiful neon blue males.. and they live in the community tank and not my breeding tank as they are from the same batch as the ladies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store