Why can't you buy guppy females at petland?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds very true for most stores from my experience.

SamNYC

How do you define real?
Aug 14, 2008
NYC
Yes, I was only looking to buy females. The male to female guppy ratio is 1:3 and I like to stock slowly. So, from time to time I need only females to keep the colony stable. I guess you are right about the inbreeding, I will need to find a way to hadel this in my colony tank.
I feel that we should be able to buy any fish, in any combination we like and can care after. If the LFS finds that it has tons of male or female overstock, then use that data to order less of that gender and sell what's in damand.

rustygmc

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
What color females are you looking for? I could probably send you a few for shipping. If I have the colors you looking for.

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
At all my lfs one of them being petland you can buy however many female or males you want individually there is one place that sells pairs but if they do it at a reduced price as a special offer.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i've never encountered that.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Daft as it sounds they want you to buy the in pairs, but my 1st litter of fry i think i got like 2 maybe 3 males out of the 20 or so born lol. Personally i like the females better than the males lol. but then i like the pretty pearlescent effect on their body. I was lucky enuf tho to get the neon green males, which i have not seen b4 in any of the lfs round here :D

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
You may find that the suppliers are unwilling to supply different numbers of males and females. When the fish breed, they produce equal numbers. What are the suppliers to do with all the leftover males this strategy would result in?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
You may find that the suppliers are unwilling to supply different numbers of males and females. When the fish breed, they produce equal numbers. What are the suppliers to do with all the leftover males this strategy would result in?
I'd agree with this, but the males are in much higher demand overall because of their finnage. Sounds like a bad policy to me and I would still recommend contacting the corporate office to see if it's allowed. Petland recently forcibly reduced a local store's fish section because of problems there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store