why r my fish dying like hell?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
i actually did talk to the fish store guys and they said that about 20 fish would be enough for a 36 gallon tank. and plus my angelfish are really small just like the rest of my other fish, becasue they r freashwater and i dont even have 20 fish in the tank.
yes, your fish store is right.. you could probably have about 20 fish. but 20 fish that are SMALL when full grown. angelfish get very large, if you have small ones now, that means they're young (like babies) if they remain in a tank that is too small for them, they'll be very unhealthy. their growth will stunt, which means all of their insides are trying to grow, but their outsides wont let them.. think about if you were still the size of a baby, but your organs and bones were trying to be the size of an adult. it would put a LOT of strain on your body.
This messes with a fish's immune system too.. its harder to keep them healthy, and they often will develop personality problems too (fighting with tank mates, or hiding out of sight)

i know they're pretty, but i would definitely take to angelfish back.. if it's not too late you may be able to get your money back. but even if you can't, they need to go back.

get the soap residue out of your tank
then read the link in the first post in this thread... its very informative.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if your tank as cycled(it has been running for over 4 weeks)
after you cleaned it it may have had a mini cycle.
did you clean everything including the filter?

you should seriously invest ina water test kit..they are available on line for about $12 -$14 petsmart does price matching so check out their website ..API makes a Master test kit that would be well worth the investment.

you need to be able to test foe nitrates, nitrites and ammonia.

what is left of your stock?

you had 20 fish ..do you stil have 20 fish? also when you add fish to a balanced tank..add them slowly , a few1-3) fish at a time
in terms of your current stock..
you may need to consider the needs of the fish..angels should get 10 gallons per fish..2 angels takes away 20 gallons of your main tank..which by itself is fine for housing 2-4 angels..but you won't be able to add much more stock to the tank if you have 3-4.
also consider the tank mates..I would never add guppies to a tank with angels.(for instance)

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
you are cleaning the tank too much make 30% water changes once a week and make sure you declornate the water i also think you added too many fish too soon slow down do it gradual

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
you are cleaning the tank too much make 30% water changes once a week and make sure you declornate the water i also think you added too many fish too soon slow down do it gradual
Just out of interest, how did you find this four year old thread without noticing it was four years old?

MichiganMan

AC Members
Sep 21, 2008
Just out of interest, how did you find this four year old thread without noticing it was four years old?
heh, I just noticed the date when you mentioned it. In my defense, trying to follow the horrid grammar and spelling was making my head hurt. :)

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Considering the OPs post count never went past 12, I'm guessing they didn't care for the advice given.

Too bad, it was all good advice.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
:iagree:
I would recommend you buy your own liquid test kit so you will be able to monitor your tank as it goes through the cycling phase.
WHICH is my biggest petpeeve...When you buy tank and filter, a liquid ought to be required in order to get any money back from dead fish.
If I owned a fish store NOONE would be able to purchase fish UNLESS I had a sample of water. Of course I know my business wouldn't last long

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I wish I had noticed before slogging through that entire first post.
You're telling me, I went through the entire thread! That's why I decided I needed to post at least something, just to make it worth my while...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store