why r my fish dying like hell?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
WHICH is my biggest petpeeve...When you buy tank and filter, a liquid ought to be required in order to get any money back from dead fish.
If I owned a fish store NOONE would be able to purchase fish UNLESS I had a sample of water. Of course I know my business wouldn't last long
My favorite LFS in town doesn't require a sample to purchase fish, but they do require one for returning fish, regardless of what else was purchased at the time.

They also have signs posted explaining that fish do not "grow to the tank size", and all of their labels are accurate, containing both common and scientific names, and true adult sizes. They are also very knowledgeable, with specific experts in saltwater, cichlids, freshwater, and plants, that handle sales/questions in those corresponding areas of the shop. They won't refuse a sale to a customer, but they do everything they can to inform their customers prior to purchase.

Personally, I would rather see things the way you describe Jason, but like you mentioned, the business wouldn't last long. This LFS is realistically about as good as it gets when it comes to the balance between business & ethics when it comes to aquatic life.

If anyone lives in the Eugene/Springfield area of Oregon, the place is called Aqua Serene. If you haven't been there, it's worth checking out!

...ok, gonna stop incidentally bumping this ancient thread now...

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Heh. I just wonder how anyone found the thread though.

I'm offering 37:1 on that the OPer is no longer keeping fish.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I'm guessing that the original ressurector did a search for something obscure that brought this post up. I'm curious as to what it was though...

And I wouldn't touch that bet with a 30 foot driftwood branch!

urastupidchimp

AC Members
Mar 16, 2011
WHICH is my biggest petpeeve...When you buy tank and filter, a liquid ought to be required in order to get any money back from dead fish.
If I owned a fish store NOONE would be able to purchase fish UNLESS I had a sample of water. Of course I know my business wouldn't last long
I recently bought a betta from a Petco close to me and when I was at the checkout she told me had a warranty...if he died within so many days I could bring him back with for a refund/trade, but I would have to bring a water sample with me...
I wonder how many people wonder why the heck they would want a water sample, lol.

And yeah...totally read through this whole thread without realizing it was 4 years old :p But I was still getting sooo aggravated with the OP refusing to listen to anyone! Why would they have even asked for help??!?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It's amazing the stuff a simple google search will bring up when it comes to forums. :rofl:

Yep, business would crash very fast. Annoying the customer by making them prove that they have access to water and the means to carry it in a container (considering that a test doesn't prove a cycle and if they haven't added fish yet then the water will test fine). :cool:

If someone really wanted to they could easily fake a water test, it proves nothing. It is generally just a way to weed out some of the returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store