Wild Caught Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ljse

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
Most of the apistos I've seen at stores were wild caught.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
I believe with the exception of bolivian/blue rams most apistos are wild caught. You can get raised ones from breeders though

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
SAEs are also wild caught.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I believe with the exception of bolivian/blue rams most apistos are wild caught. You can get raised ones from breeders though
I'm not sure what you are referring to..but rams have not been apistograms for some time.
the old books reference this but the new thought is Papilochromis or Mikrogeophagus

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
I'm not sure I buy your premise. 'Wild-caught' does not necessarily equal 'illegal' does not necassarily equal 'stolen' does not necessarily equal 'environmental distruction'.

There are sustainable wild fisheries for food fish; and there ones that are abused. I don't know that all wild-caught fish fall in the latter category, although it wouldn't surprise me if alot do.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Hi, I've seen the Illegal Fish Thread and I was wondering if there was a list out there of freshwater aquarium fish that are mostly wild caught... I'm interested because I would like to make sure I don't ever get a species that is only wild caught due to the environmental destruction and high casualty rates seen from specimens stolen from the wild. Perhaps this would be a good thread to start a list?
Excellent policy. Two thumbs up for you, my friend.

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
Most non cory species of catfish, especially those from Central and South America are wild caught. Raphaels and such for example.

I believe most synos are wild caught as well.

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
I know breeders of cockatoo apistos and synodontis petricola, so they are not necessarily wild-caught. Most may be.

I understand cardinals have been raised in captivity with some difficulty, but it is still more economically feasible to import wild ones.

Environmentalists actually worry about preserving the wild cardinal fishing industry. If it collapses, the people employed by it may have to take up other work that is less environmentally friendly in terms of rain forest deforestation, etc.

Cardinals in the wild are sort of an annual fish, and seem to replenish themselves readily. Habitat destruction is a much greater threat than fishing.

Has science even figured out how to sex glass catfish yet? I think they are still a complete mystery.

I understand that cherry barbs are all but extinct in the wild (again, habitat destruction) and that we aquarists are essentially the ones perpetuating the species.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store