Will someone do something!!!!boycot wal-mart fish tanks!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dark Phoenix

Bad Bird
Jul 25, 2004
Visit site
about 4 years ago,before i started fishkeeping i saw these fire belly newts(ever so cute). i asked the guy what i needed to care for them . he gives me a bowl and some giant turtle pellet. you can imagine the rest. when i went to get a refund on the newts they asked me how i took care of them. i told them and they said it was only my fault and that i should have taken bettter care of them . what a bunch of !"/$%&?**())__)()(*(?*%&$?/?%?(&)(*)&*$?$/?$%$&?(*&)*_(_)(_*(*?&?%?%/%"$"!%$/?%$&?%*(&?(*&)(*_*()(&(*?*?%&%$&?%*?%*&?((*&(*&)/"&)(*$)(*$)(&%)(*&*/(&)"*'s !!!!!!!!!!! i would have slashed their tires had i known which ones were theirs

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
I agree with you completely Fishseller. The best thing you can do is just give out good advice, wal mart's paintball section for instance sucks and since my family owned a paintball proshop I'd give people I saw there lookin at guns and stuff our business card and explain to them why wallyworld's stuff was bad. Fortunately the wal mart in our town doesn't carry fish. That being said though, the two LFS in the area are probably worse than wal mart and all they care about is selling fish at about 200% mark up and gettin their money.
Its really not gonna change, but you can change what you do.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Each store is different....depends on the manager. There is a walmart in my area that stopped selling fish. I can only assume they got a manager that was clued in that if you can't keep it well, it's better off not kept at all. A great choice in my opinion....kudos to them ! :thm:

Meanwhile another walmart nearby has the usual ugly fish section that you all have been griping about here...lol...dead fish all over the place every time I go in there. I don't buy the other fish in there, but I will pick up a betta if I find one there that is unique or unusual.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I don't buy anything at Walmart b/c it only helps fund a conglomerate that eliminates specialty shops through undercutting. What you have left, eventually, is a substandard store chain that sells a wide variety of cheap crap rather than many specialty stores that cater to specific needs with a greater choice of quality goods.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
i wonder how much money they lose from dying fish. prbably not enough to surpass the profit margins or else they would stop selling fish. nonetheless people dont want to come bck when they see dead fish all over . not good bussiness thinking

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
While we're at it, let's boycott buying Pacu's. I'm sure by now everyone has read my sticky post about my beloved Pacus.......

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
I agree with fishseller totaly that involving PETA could possibly prove fatal to the hobby that we all love. And lets face it we are all in it because we love to keep fish and if that right was taken away what would we do, I know it would be a sad day for me. Thats why I think education amongst people in the hobby would be far better, if we could somehow educate people on the facts about fish keeping, to better inform them on what they are getting into would be a much safer approach.

led_zeppelin

AC Members
May 8, 2005
SE Michigan
im not sure if guys noticed but meijers has been getting pretty good about fish, they still stock them ten times past the tank limits but under neath the tanks they have little cards with a picture of the fish and underneath them they say certain things about the fish like, temperment, full grown size, livebearer or egg layer, diet, and compatibility. It isnt as good as it could be but everything they say about the fish are true (including size). The employes are also pretty good about cleaning out the dead and sick fish. Like i said not the best but definately getting better. But they still say bettas only need a quart sized tank :sad: .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store