Will someone do something!!!!boycot wal-mart fish tanks!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
i agree with you ash .people should definately get well informated before puchsing fish. i think that most of the problem is little kids going i wanna have that fish and the parents giving in instead of getting info and seeing what happens in the long run. they also dont realise that a tank requires maintenance.it really would suck if the animal rights group took away our fih keeping rights. on account of the people that get fish whithout getting proper info or the stores that dont take care of their stock

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Michael_G said:
i agree with you ash .people should definately get well informated before puchsing fish. i think that most of the problem is little kids going i wanna have that fish and the parents giving in instead of getting info and seeing what happens in the long run. they also dont realise that a tank requires maintenance.it really would suck if the animal rights group took away our fih keeping rights. on account of the people that get fish whithout getting proper info or the stores that dont take care of their stock
If only there was a way that a education program could be successfuly implemented and used by pet shops, fish shops and maybe even public aquariums. I know that public aquariums already have programs set up, but it dose not include much information on your average aquarists and fish keeping.
Just a thought.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
i think before buying a fish you should fill out a test explaining the bacteria cycle and basic concepts. i know this would never work but it would be awesome for the poor fish that get chucked in 10'gs whe nthey need 55's

FishSeller

AC Members
Apr 28, 2005
There is a program sponsored by the State of Florida as well as the FTFFA as well as several other aquarium industry interest groups called Dive In!. Marketing and care info can be provided to pet shops free of charge. This program is still in its beginning stages, but it is making strides to promote good water quality and proper selection of fish. It is a win-win situation for everyone involved. Studies show that the average life span of an aquarium owner is 12 to 18 months. It can be argued that this is due to improper care and impulse buying on the customer's end, both recipies for disaster. Personally, I would like to see some type of accrediation amongst retail workers (similar to the MAC). It is difficult to find good help. It is more difficult to find good help and pay them what they're worth. As a result, quality fish store workers come and go rather quickly. I would not want to see something like this become law for the simple reason it would be one more foothold for animal rights groups. I think it would, however, give store owners the ability to pay qualified employees more and begin to eliminate much of the misinformation and improper care of live goods.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
While in theory I would have to agree with you Fishseller, in practicality I doubt it will ever work. Those who wish to be informed generally become so and the rest remain ignorant. Trust me on this. I know too many ASE certified mechanics who can't troubleshoot a blown fuse. My biggest fear with informational training is the perpetuation of myths. there are so many in our hobby that are fuel by marketing, and the manufacturers are generally the ones who fund educational information. It's almost a cinch that Doc Wellfish is not going to support education that tells the truth about Salt in Freshwater aquariums. So as a rule there are very few Programs that can exist without compromising accuracy

dave

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Oh yeah I was also going to say that wal-mart has been boycotted. I don't shop there.
Dannon yogurt, K-mart, "ben and jerry's" ice cream, planet hollywood and a whole list of other companies have also been boycotted. I do what I can when I belive in certain things.

If everyone else who cares would quit shopping there (that includes beattas, fish food and 55 gallon tank kits) then wal-mart would eventually notice a decline in sales and probably re-think their stocking levels. each beatta you rescue will cause wal-mart to stock at least one new one. if you rescue enough they will increase their stocking levels. So if you really want to boycott them stay out of the fish section don't even look, and whatever you do don't buy from them. if you just want to rant, then as said it's been done here plenty of times.

As far as the horrible big box attitude, we live in a country where majority genrally rules except of course for political issues :eek: :D . If Wal-mart was not beneficial to the majority of consumers in an area, they would not remain open. and the specialty shops would still be there. I don't like Wal-mart, I don't shop there, but I don't complain when they bring low priced consumer goods and jobs to an area. I would be upset if I lost my buisiness because I was unable to compete with Wal-Mart, but that isn't wal-Marts fault that is mine. I would have done the same thing to them if I could.
Dave

saturday

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
If the person who started this thread really cared about how fish were treated in Wal-Mart- they would take the time to write a letter about it, and not shop there for ANYTHING until Wal-Mart took action and changed to their satisfaction. If you have time to write on this forum, you have time to write a letter. And folks, Wal-Mart is really only cheaper on the cheap junk from China that nobody really needs. The five bucks you save a month buying stuff you need there is not worth supporting that kind of organization. So if you care, act on it, not on this forum, but where it counts.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Thats a really good program thats starting up Fish! And I agree with your comment about quality help in the LFS. I worked at a LFS in this area for a winter, then went to my summer job, when I wanted to come back in the fall the gal that owns it told me she didn't need my help, but the next week she has a goob in there that when I asked him if I could put an oscar in a 20gal with serpae tetras told me that they would be fine. Guess she didn't want me back because I told people how to do things practically and they didn't need all the chemicals she was pushing, and telling them not to buy some fish they asked about. Go figure... lol

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
I saw pacus at wal-mart. how's that for a double whammy. you know wal-mart employees don't know jack about pacus. as for oscars in 10g tanks, every idiot that I know does that and then argues with me when I tell them that doesn't work.

cichlidman

AC Members
Jun 20, 2005
mate u were totally in the right. wenever i go to shops and see fish bein treated badly i get disgusted to. keep doin what ur doin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store