winterizing a pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah...I actually tried licking it once and I was stuck to the flagpole until May. :p:

I like the air pump/powerhead idea better just because a typical air pump or powerhead will draw something around 10 watts of power. A heater will draw anywhere from 10-100x that to accomplish the same job...significant extra cost there.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Yeah...I actually tried licking it once and I was stuck to the flagpole until May. :p:

I like the air pump/powerhead idea better just because a typical air pump or powerhead will draw something around 10 watts of power. A heater will draw anywhere from 10-100x that to accomplish the same job...significant extra cost there.
haha!!! I saw the movie.... who knew!!

good info, Sploke!

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
The pump is the best idea. I have used cow trough heaters and lost fish due to it shorting out while on vacation. Now I just rearrange a few rocks near my falls and let it run year round.
Nik's Misc. Pics. 074.jpg

Chicago gets plenty cold...
Nik's Misc. Pics. 075.jpg

Nik's Misc. Pics. 074.jpg Nik's Misc. Pics. 075.jpg

Fresh250

Fishaholic
May 5, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
now i was just browsing the pond forum and saw this thread... the koi/goldfish actually stay in the iced over pond all through winter!!

i sold my old 135 gallon tank to a woman down the road that put her koi in it for the winter, i always thought that was how it was done.... and also the reason that i never had one despite wanting one something fierce

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Some people do bring them in for the winter, some don't.

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Depends on the owner and fish. I can't imagine netting Koi year after year. They certainly don't get smaller as they get age....

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Feeding:
45-50 deg. low temp. food couple times a week
45 feeding stops all together.
45 is a little bit low. 55 is a better temp to aim for since by this point the metabolism is so slow that anything you're feeding can sit in the intestine and begin to rot. Never feed high protein right up to the very last day, finish with a course of high-fiber, low-protein food to clear them out before everything freezes over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store