Would it be wrong to surgically or genetically alter a fish to keep it small?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it OK to surgically/genetically alter a fish for size?

• Yes, both are fine.

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Only surgically.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Only genetically.

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • No, both are wrong.

Votes: 51 55.4%

• Total voters

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
This might call for thread of its own and if the op agrees I'll start one, but I'm curious. How many who voted "No both are wrong" would be willing to impose their will on everyone else by passing laws to ban the practices?
Go ahead.
hey i know, get a bigger tank
the question was surgically or genetically alter fish , i say get a bigger tank, if you can afford to surgically or genetically alter fish then you can afford to get a bigger tank IMHO
Fish keeping is not a necessity. It is a LUXURY any way you cut it. If you can't afford to keep a particular fish properly, you have no business keeping it, and should probably reevaluate your priorities in general.
Ok, I understand it costs money, but what if you have the money but not the space?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
buy more space...

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I say don't keep fish you don't have room for.

Instead of genetically/surgically altering a fish that is too big, why not choose a different species?

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
I think it's wrong to forcibly modify another living creature's body, so surgery is completely out of the picture by all means.

Genetically, if done humanely, is fine in my opinion. Take Glofish for example, those are fine. But once you start stepping into mad-scientist land, that's over the line.

I tend to view any living creature as equal to a human being. Animals of any shape, size, or intelligence should be treated with respect and love.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
buy more space...
I have plenty of space, I'm just saying what if you lived in the city or something?
I think it's wrong to forcibly modify another living creature's body, so surgery is completely out of the picture by all means.

Genetically, if done humanely, is fine in my opinion. Take Glofish for example, those are fine. But once you start stepping into mad-scientist land, that's over the line.

I tend to view any living creature as equal to a human being. Animals of any shape, size, or intelligence should be treated with respect and love.
I agree with you, other than the part of fish being treated like human beings. I will not go into that, because it will start to sound religious.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

You know that isn't true! What would you do if you came downstairs in the middle of the night to get a drink, turned on the light and found your neighbor, who had in a state of drunkeness came into your home by mistake. And then how would you treat a Cockroach that you found by the same means?

Carch

AC Members
Sep 1, 2010
I've worked in a petstore for 5 years and it's disgusting how people treat fish because "they're stupid/small/cheap". I come across people daily that don't care if their fish is suffering because, you know, obviously they're too stupid to feel pain.

All I'm saying. People need to respect some animals more rather than treat them like ornaments just because they can.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
I've worked in a petstore for 5 years and it's disgusting how people treat fish because "they're stupid/small/cheap". I come across people daily that don't care if their fish is suffering because, you know, obviously they're too stupid to feel pain.

All I'm saying. People need to respect some animals more rather than treat them like ornaments just because they can.
Agreed.

Wow I just thought of something, Get a bigger tank.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
You know that isn't true! What would you do if you came downstairs in the middle of the night to get a drink, turned on the light and found your neighbor, who had in a state of drunkeness came into your home by mistake. And then how would you treat a Cockroach that you found by the same means?
I'd tell that cockroach to go back to his own house and sleep it off. Then I'd change the locks.

But seriously, don't mess with drunken cockroaches. They are mean drunks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store