Yellow Lab tank mates?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

f8ldzz

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii USA
What sized tank?
If the tank is too small, the yellow labs will harass them.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
I dunno i haven't bought a tank yet. I was thinking maybe in the range of 30-55 gallons.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
Good to see somone doing research before they buy. If you are looking to keep the labs, I would go with the 55, to give more room for the possible other tankmates. I would think the corries would get harrassed as stated above. Most common loaches that I know of are acidic to neautral ph, where the labs are alkaline. Any other thoughts?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
I keep clown loaches with my africans, but your right they dont come from water that is so high in pH. You need to slowly acclimatize them... but they have been known to be very successful in african tanks.

The cories would get harrassed for sure and are not a good idea. Try a synodontis catfish, like multipuncatas or petricola from lake tangynika.

:)
-Diana

yellowlab

AC Members
Oct 27, 2005
yep, I'd stay away from corries with yellow labs. larger loaches (eg. clown loach) would do alright, but, ya, the synodontis family would be better. Also consider plecos.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
A 30-55g is too small for clowns. I don't know if I'd personally recommend them with africans because they can be on the touch side.

I would look into the smaller synodontis (sp?) catfish that stay in the 5-7'' range, like yellowlab suggested. You can check out http://www.planetcatfish.com in their cat e-log for profiles.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
What about yoyo loaches? they don't get as big as clowns. I mean it would seem boring if there were no fish at the bottom lol.

speaking of plecos and catfish would a bristlenose catfish get beat up too? lol I guess i'll go read planet catfish.

on a side note should i bother with plants at all or are they gonna dig them all up and eat them? I was thinking of maybe using some java ferns or hornwort because I heard they taste nasty.

Onikun

AC Members
Jun 25, 2005
eww i was just looking a pictures of bristlenose catfishes and the bristles look so ugly it gave me goosebumps. scratch those!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store