You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Did those sandbags come in handy for a change...lol.
But indeed, remembered having plenty of old cable racks. They look like metal stairs.
Will use a bunch of them to build a sunshade and lay them over the pond to prevent it from jumping out.

It's shaping up. Next, an appropriate name. That will be a matter for the workers.

Then the next step is to ask HQ if we can use some funds to build a pond for it...
That would likely be a 3x5 meter concrete pond, 1 meter into the ground and 1 above. Thin wall, only to keep the shape intact. The above ground section supported with sloping soil then grass to hold it.
Water at 1.5 to 1.6 meter and wire mesh with orchids and other plants above that on 3 sides.
Topped with sunshade.
Now that would be cool! I now my friends dad has a koi pond that is neat. He even has to throw on a wet suit to clean it once in a while. (idk what there is to clean in a pond. I think the walls and to catch any baby koi he wants to raise in a separate tank or sell). My school used to have a cool little pond that some students took care of. Even had a little water fall powered by a solar panel. But the students that took care of it graduated and now just the hole full of water is left. :(

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
My house had minor floods at 60cm. Plenty of small fish, mostly between 5 and 15 cm.
Kept a dozen cichlids in a tank and a pond full of black tetras, guppies plates and pearl gouramis.
Oh, best ones I got...wild Siamese fighters. Not the very colorful ones but real wild green/gold/brown colored ones...beautiful.
I returned to a big pond in our village 2 big dumpsters with hundreds of snakeheads and cichlids. Unable to keep them, especially the snakeheads..all they did was jumping against the mosquito fence I put over the tank. Worse, they would frequently hit the bracing on the tank up to their lips and head bleeding.

Others we caught...big 30 cm turtle, 4 30cm catfish and a lot of very young catfish, not sure what type. Looked like black and white striped from nose to tail.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Wow. I wonder what else is out there :). Nice though that you're keeping the fish. I had a conversation with my brother about this and we were taking about how the fish farms there were dealing with the lost stocks and imaging all the fish swept away to different locations.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Why you lucky little.... :grinno:

I hope that the fish makes it, and I hope you geth the pond (either at home or at work).

If I lived there, I'd be really worried about non-native fish getting into the environment and wiping out native species, TBH. If a breeder lost enough fish then there could easily be a breeding population of non-natives poised to take over the area...

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
P1060014.JPGP1060016.JPGP1060021.JPGP1060023.JPGP1060018.JPG
Why you lucky little.... :grinno:

I hope that the fish makes it, and I hope you geth the pond (either at home or at work).

If I lived there, I'd be really worried about non-native fish getting into the environment and wiping out native species, TBH. If a breeder lost enough fish then there could easily be a breeding population of non-natives poised to take over the area...
You know what I found out last night...You'd expect MonsterFish keepers and forum posters to be a bit more responsible because of the size of fish, everything that comes with it.
So I told the whole story, comes probably from a fish farm, I'm in Thailand, this is an exotic species, etc. etc.

Big surprise...one after the other came in with..can't keep it..release it back in the wild...
I was quite disappointed with it. Really, where was I not clear? Are there so many ppl there that just kick on size, never read up on anything? Or...

Anyhow, appreciate your comment and indeed, the release of thousands of exotic species is very very worrying.
some examples are the hundreds of crocs that went loose and GASP, the Natural Resources Minister announcing to the public: "Don't worry, these crocodiles are not wild, they not attack humans, they are not used to that... I know you all laugh out loud now, but really, that's on the record as an official statement... Never mind the 3 meter monsters they caught every day.

Anyhow, I'm drifting....some pictures of today's progress.
Water pressure is not fully restored yet, so the pond is not full yet, but it is ready.
See attached pictures of today's work.
To prevent it from jumping out, back and sides the liner will be pulled up to the metal, about 2 meters high.
The pond will thus be closed, keeps sun out...A Fan will be added soon and I'll convert a 100 liter water drum in a filter with the drain-pump feeding it. Rest is gravity draining back in the pond.
Front at night time for now. Need to have a look at wire-mesh fence so we can see and enjoy the fish while having no worries on it jumping out.

Patted him/her a couple of times on the side, seems to be ok with it. Just keeping quiet right now. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Pond should be full tomorrow, looking forward the get him in and see how it goes.
If we can keep it ok and feeling at home, I'll start planning on a more definite solution.

Cheers and enjoy the pics.

P1060018.JPG P1060014.JPG P1060016.JPG P1060023.JPG P1060021.JPG

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Nice makeshift pond. And it's cool that you thought ahead with the pulling up the plastic sides to keep it from jumping, but I don't think that metal rack would be able to stop it if the creature really did try to jump out... would just take out the entire set up I think. But then, it's probably stronger in person then over the web.

I think, however, that the fish will enjoy that larger housing and the makeshift filter while it waits for an official and permanent home :) Again, good luck, and I'll be following this thread until it's finished :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store