You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
And hey, you can heal his mouth up real good with some melalueca oil! (tea tree oil!)

His mouth will heal up full in a few weeks! (Never used it on a fish this size, but it should work!) haha

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks Louxrs,

Will get feeders tomorrow, then try that.

Plans are shaping up in my head for the pond. It all comes together now.

Have attached a picture of my just renovated house and you can see on the left side the second one I bought.

The space between the houses is 3.6 meters, middle on both sides has windows from the floor to the roof, about 10 meters high.
Windows are the reason I bought the house, very light and bright house because of it and with the second one, I can slowly start building a large fishroom and everything else me and my wife like to do.

DSCN5308.JPG

Back to the pond...would start digging the rectangular shape first I think. 7.5 x 1.8 meters.
That way I can keep our renovated side clean and separate until renovation gets truly underway.
Part with a cover, pond will sure be liner type inside a concrete box.
Just don't want to mess with epoxy or any other substances and I think it makes for more easy expansion, changes of the pond and repairs.

What I wonder about is the jumping.
Anybody have any experience or suggestions on that?
I figure that keeping it well fed will avoid it searching for food and jump.
Still, I need to make sure it does not jump against the window or anywhere else.
Large net above the pond, about 2.5 meters in the air will avoid birds and cats getting to the pond.
1 side for time being is 1.8 meter high concrete wall, the other side is the window and after that brick wall again.

So pretty much enclosed. Can hang planters around it to give it shade and hiding places, breaking up the view.

Drainage and filter will be floor-standing drain pump at the deep end of the pond, feeding into 100liter drum with filter floss and bio-media, then gravity-fed back into the pump.

DSCN5308.JPG

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
^^ Just build a nice gate with a door for you to get in and out, around the pond, so that if he jumps out, he has no where to go but back in the water.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
And hey, you can heal his mouth up real good with some melalueca oil! (tea tree oil!)

His mouth will heal up full in a few weeks! (Never used it on a fish this size, but it should work!) haha
How to apply that? Dive into the pond and chase him with lip-balm?

Seriously..you add it to the water or?

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I would try to get him on pellets and prepared foods soon. Feeding a monster that size will cost a fortune!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store