You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hmmm, the medicine could be difficult for a 3500 liter pond...
Will get him eating first..
Thanks all for replies...indeed I realize it could reasonably sure get to 2m length.
With the 7m x 1.8m pond it will be ok for a couple of years. After that we will see.

Today bank, tomorrow land office and the key for the second house. Then coming weeks clearing the side and start digging while at the same time I need to check on construction plans. Houses here are all concrete skeleton build, with the pillars all on piling, deep into the ground.
Makes it easier for sure, but still need to get info on how this pond would affect its surroundings.

One thing for sure, the ground is soaked from all the flood-waters. Water table is very high. So digging will be wet and dirty I guess.

All to be sorted soon..
Coffee and off to bank and work soon...
Cheers.
Luc

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
No, it shouldnt be too bad, you would just have to buy a few bottles. Or buy just plain old Melalueca itself.
Up late? Lol...time difference...
Will need to check..always difficult to find things in Thailand, but medicines in abundance. Only need to figure the Thai name for it.

Can't wait to get back to the factory after the bank. Bag full of feeders to buy. For one, you buy them at few cents a piece, not to expensive. For the first week that will be ok, then start training. Feeds will eat the pellets, so he might gulp down some of the pellets with the feeders and get used.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Is his name feeds or was that just a typo?

Man, it would be so cool to have a second house, but expensive.

Having wet and muddy dirt is better than having the hard dry clay I have here. I had to dig 46in into the ground to install our basket ball hoop. Got about 18in into the first hole, then called to have the pipes marked. 3hrs of work with that hard clay just to have to fill it in because the gas line was directly under it. The best part is it is made of plastic until it gets about a foot away from the house. My dad worked at menards (hardware store) for 17 years and never heard of gas line being plastic util about a foot away from the house. He sold a lot of gas line for contractors building houses, and never once did he sell plastic. Good thing we called, we would have gone right through that with a shovel. (and we were about to go get a hydrolic post hole digger bc the ground was so hard.)

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks for comments....update today is that I got 6 bags of feeders. Approx 600 small fish darting around.
He finished a good bag of prawn from the supermarket this weekend but does not like hot dogs.
He is now happily chasing the feeders. Seen a few disappear in his mouth.
Looks like a happy camper. Can't be worse than a storm drain I'd say.
Truly amazed with how smooth he glides through the pond. Stunningly beautiful fish.

Now, for the feeding schedule. Anybody here has any useful suggestions? Once a week? Once a day?

Appreciate all the comments, thanks!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Sorry I wasn't here for the weekend, was busy :/

He looks like quite the happy fish in that makeshift pond (from the pics underwater) and it seems like you've got all the bases covered. I name my fish after their official (or common) name. I have mollies named everything from Big Molly to Murri and Mondo (male). So I'd name him Arapa :)

You have two houses? Well, that opens all sorts of ideas... some of them a little crazy, I'm sure, but totally worth saying. If you ever managed to get the money, you could extend the pond up to the side of the newer (for you) house, and then have a glass window installed (one capable of holding back the water) so that you could look at the fish from inside the house and underwater at the same time. Needless to say, that would be epic :D but expensive I'm sure.

Feeding wise... that's pretty difficult, considering fish will eat until they explode... perhaps see how he does with a bi-weekly feeding, if he looks like it's not enough feed more? I'm not an expert on feeding (I always overfeed my fish :/)

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks for the input FishFriend1.
On the house, there are so many ideas I have, will take years to finish. That's the fun of having a nice house and a 'project' next to it.
For sure, it will get the font connected on the 2nd floor. Ground floor will be open. Creating kind of a tunnel.
Backside sure will be connected, open space in the back covered with a roof and back wall torn out, creating a bigger fish room space.

Back to the fish. Still not sure, but given that my company starts with a T, and my boss first name also, I'm leaning towards Mr.T...he sure is big and powerful enough to carry that name with pride..lol.

For the food, yep, would agree on that as a first try. Enough feeders for now, so wednesday will make it day 2 for the bi-weekly schedule. Quick calculation then would be a 500 baht per week food. That's about 18 USD if I go for prawn and other fish.
Take some chicken or beef, then it goes down a bit.
Not to bad.. Manageable...

Let's keep him on a fish diet for now, then get the filter running and the water changed once the pressure is back on this week, finally.

Cheers,
Luc

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Mr. T I love it lol! Good luck with the food... at least he's not a picky eater, so no worries there :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Sounds wonderful, it could be the company pet and a conversation piece.
Yep. A conversation piece since a fish that big easily attracts anyone's attention especially when they are unfamiliar of arapaimas.

Nice find, bro.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using MonsterAquaria

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store