Your favorite "wet pet" species?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
My favorite fish I have ever owned was a Prochilodus Insignia or Flagtail Prochilodus. He was 14 inches long and had those huge gorgeous eyes. I could pet him even. They are veggie eaters so his mouth and lips were very much like a cats tongue. I would hold an algae wafer in my hand and he would come up while I held it and suck it like a kid with a piece of candy. He would even eat thawed mysis shrimp off a spoon that I held at the surface. For the most part I know fish are fish and try not to get too attached. I had him for over 6 years and have no clue how old he was when I got him (full grown). I will admit, I cried like a baby the day I found him dead. It was like losing my dog. I always said if I could take him out and hug him I would. He would follow me thru the tank, and if I sat in a chair at one end of the tank he was right there with me. I could put my fingers in the tank and he would suck on them.
I miss him, but also know others who have that species and do not have the same experience. He is buried in a place of honor out in my garden. R.I.P. Baby!

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
I raised a Jack Dempsey from less than an inch to a full 10". He was gorgeous, interactive, and so much fun to watch. He also ate everything else in my Mom's 125. But absolutely stunning.

kriskitty23

AC Members
Feb 15, 2012
I am absolutely IN LOVE with Cory Cats. Pretty much every kind. They're peaceful community fish and they school which is always fun to watch. Currently, I have albino cats, emerald green, panda, juli and peppered cats.

I actully really love fish that school in general. Zebra danios may not add much color to your tank, but they sure are fun to watch!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Puffers for me. I have a big, fat figure 8, and 4 south americans ("the friendly puffer"). They all come to the glass whenever I get near the tank.

slorg36

Invert-Fanatic
Jun 7, 2011
Real Name
Myles Parslow
I personally love my tylos, my silver dollars, and my angelfish. The tylos are insanely fun to watch when they hunt for live food I put in the tank, and when I see them work together and flip over a rock to get to goodies underneath I question if perhaps they are smarter than the neon tetras that live with them. As for the silver dollars, I'll hide and watch them nibble on the plants in their tank, and when I jump out they'll all back away and give me this hilariously guilty look. The angel is by far my most intelligent wet pet, and I often have staring contests with him, in which he'll follow my face as I move around. I think that regardless of what you choose, you'll have a good time.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Well, for wet pets and sheer entertainment value I have to go with my beloved frogs. Not only do they love having their picture taken...

buddieA.jpg1229a.jpg

they have cute personalities...
buddiesA2.jpgbuddiesA.jpg

and their mating behavior is hilarious, especially when they're first starting out. Sometimes they get it upside down.
upsidedown1.jpgupsidedown2.jpg

buddieA.jpg 1229a.jpg buddiesA2.jpg buddiesA.jpg upsidedown1.jpg upsidedown2.jpg

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Jannika..those are some of the best pictures!! Adorable little critters and it made me laugh.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Weather loaches are the funniest fish I've ever kept, I wouldn't really call them a "wet pet" though. Their antics are hillarious, and it's awesome to watch them spaz out. They're like long, skinny, and stupid torpedos of awesome.

My JD is much friendlier though, and looks wicked nice too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store