Your input Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
No I meant the one person listed acintics and then there main light ect. Didnt want some to list there moonlights next lol. Just needed a rough Idea of main light.

It has a 4month old 14k phoenix.

I will get a timer for my fuge light next time im at the store.

I do notice more stuff in the water w/o the sponge but o well. I dont like the idea of it bein full of debri and then I bio filter, then clogs flow, then I clean it and something bad happens.

Turn my light on at noon? till 7:30-8, thats when our son goes to bed and its in his room.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
It is up to you on how long you want to leave the light on, anywhere from 5hrs to 8hrs a day. I think you will be fine anywhere in that range. From years of observation what I have noticed is corals seem to slow down growth slightly during winter months no matter the light cycle, so you could go 8hrs a day during summer time and 6.5hrs during fall, 5 hrs during winter, etc.

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
The main reason I stated it was unnecessary to run MH longer than 5 hours was to save you some cash. First you will notice a slightly smaller electric bill, but also by running them 5 hours you will extend the time inbetween purchasing new bulbs. This hobby is expensive enough as it is. If you want to view your critters more, get a small t-5 fixture and run it the extra hours.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
running a single MH 8 hours a day (which is probably max) would be 1200 watts a day,
I'm paying 10 cents a killowatt hour so thats about 12 cents a day,
times 30 equals 3.60 a month times 12 months is $43.20 a year for your lighting.
Not too bad.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Whats the max temp my tank should get? Its gettin warmer with the MH. first with 40wPC it was 76-78 and now its 78-82.

I also need a better therm than my stick on one. I have to buy a digi one here soon. But I was curious what was the max temp.

And do lil fans across the water help?

List: fans, digi therm, maybe a ATO, moonlight

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Whats the max temp my tank should get? Its gettin warmer with the MH. first with 40wPC it was 76-78 and now its 78-82.

I also need a better therm than my stick on one. I have to buy a digi one here soon. But I was curious what was the max temp.

And do lil fans across the water help?

List: fans, digi therm, maybe a ATO, moonlight
It should be no higher than 84 for long periods of time. Anything above 84 will stress things eventually. I purposefully keep my tank ~82 with a heater (otherwise it would drop into the 70s), since that is closer to the average reef temperature. So your temperatures are fine. Some fans will reduce it if you want to, though. I would get them anyway as a safeguard for overheating if you don't already have enough mechanisms in place to counter that.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
K im going to buy a 75w marineland stealth to keep it "daytime" temps at night. Im also gettings a dual rim mount fan. 31cfm. Supposed to lower 5 to 7 degress. Dont know how they figure that? Diffrent sized tanks ect. But I have a 10g so im sure im fine. Id like to lower the light more so I know it will get warmer.

My fuge has brought up some ?'s

Its a Aqua Clear 20. With LR rubble and a now (with MH) growing colony of chateo. And I had no light on it but the 40w PC. then I put a lil light box on the side with a 10w daylight CF, on at night. Well it started to get alot of algae in the divider, I left the basket in to be able to pull up the LR ect.

So now I have pearling hair and others thinly between the grey divider and side of the HOB.

I got the MH and the rubble is growing coraline now and the chateo is visably growing. I quit running the lil fuge light at night, noticed the algae and then went halide.

My question is, If I cut the divider open more and its not a thin space, you think the MH is working fine on it during the day and dont run the light on the fuge?

I duno if I cut it open if the rocks and everything inside will get yucky. Im thinking its just the thin space and its real close being the side of the hob.

Its eggcrated and light gets in pretty good and it wasnt nasty before, just the solid parts of the hob media tray.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
^

got2envy

I'm not skurred.
Dec 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Maria
I have a few odd questions i would appreciate your thoughts; or more your stats or if you do something. Here we go and it will make sense.

Do you change your water each week?
50%?
I change 10% on my nano's every other week and 50% on my 125g every month to six weeks...really depends on weather since I use NSW (natural sea water) it can be to cold to collect among other things.

Do you personaly run carbon?
on my 2 nano's I run a bag chemi-pure elite

Do you target feed everything?
no...I do do this once in a blue moon...but no not all the time

Do you feed mysis?

yes at least once a week...I feed 2 frozen cubes to my RBTA once a month

In a spare hob in a 10g, just for flow, would a filter sponge be bad? Heard they just get dirty too quick and do more harm.

I run HOB's in both my nano's...all they have is chemi pur elite which is a mix of carbon and phospahte remover and filter floss that I change when I do water changes.

How far is your Halide light from the surface? ( if you have one)

In my 125g I run halides...they are about 5-6 inches off the tank...I use glass tops

What temp is your tank at?
between 79-80 degrees I have 3 small fans...one pointing at each halide

To benefit from Chateo, is it true you have to have a substantial amount? And how much? ( I have a lil golf ball in my AC 20 fuge)

It will grow if there are excess nutrients in the tank no matter what size.

What food is best for zoas. ( I love em and almost want them only in my tank)

I dose Sea Chem Reef Plus

With that, whats the best thing to do for them, example calciums good for sps

they vary in needs...some love hi flow some low some high light...usually I keep them lower in the tank. I have noticed since dosing a cap full of Reef Plus every other day none have melted on me...vitamin C seems to be the trick

Does SW thats mixed expire? Like if I do a WC then go the LFS and refill and wait another 5 days. ( like there room temp, I shake em up a bit, just in case)

I use NSW that I leave in 5g gasoline jugs for weeks at a time with no problems...and this has living schtuffs in it

Thats all I can think of now. I really really thankyou for your thoughts.
whew! hope I passed :hitting:

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I have a few odd questions i would appreciate your thoughts; or more your stats or if you do something. Here we go and it will make sense.

Do you change your water each week?
50%?
I do water tests every week, but typically do water changes every 2 weeks as the parameters tend to stay fairly stable. When I do water changes I do no more than 20% at a time.

Do you personaly run carbon? At the moment I am running carbon, but it's produced higher phosphates and am planning to remove it after I get my new refugium sump system up and running.

Do you target feed everything? I ocassionally target feed my corals because I hear feeding can increase the growth rate of some corals.

Do you feed mysis? Mysis is one of the foods I feed, particularly to my Mandarin Dragonet. As for corals, it depends on what type as to what they will need for food.

In a spare hob in a 10g, just for flow, would a filter sponge be bad? Heard they just get dirty too quick and do more harm. I don't know much about this particular question, but I will agree that sponges do get dirty fast.

How far is your Halide light from the surface? ( if you have one) I use T5HOs

What temp is your tank at? 80 degrees

To benefit from Chateo, is it true you have to have a substantial amount? And how much? ( I have a lil golf ball in my AC 20 fuge) I have some chateo (got a packed sandwich bag full) growing in a mesh box in my main tank atm until the refugium is running. It seems to be limiting the amount of nuissance algae I get.

What food is best for zoas. ( I love em and almost want them only in my tank) I target feed phyto 2 times a week because I hear it helps improve color.

With that, whats the best thing to do for them, example calciums good for sps Let em grow! As long as your water parameters are good, they will slowly start spreading each day.

Does SW thats mixed expire? Like if I do a WC then go the LFS and refill and wait another 5 days. ( like there room temp, I shake em up a bit, just in case) I use Instant Ocean, as far as I know it doesnt expire.

Thats all I can think of now. I really really thankyou for your thoughts.
Hope this helps!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store