You've Got Goos! Babies in da House!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville

... not quite what i thought of, but going over the appalation mountains with about a hundred pounds of rock to sell.... hmmm sounds just like that!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Little update on the Melanotaenia affinis, Pagwi babies:

Left the wand going all night -- this is going to play havoc with my plants with no CO2 running at all and half the lights off. Probably end up with an algae outbreak :( -- and as of this AM when the lights came on, the pagwis seem to have recovered from their ordeal. They are not 100%, but swimming well.

The littlest ones (about 1" SL) are skimming around the surface like bow babies do, but their noses look like they ran into the side of a brick wall :( No one is gasping, looking stressed or clamping their fins. That's very good news.

The bigger ones (1½") are playing with the parvas and checking on the little ones now and then. They look like they hit the side of a bus, however.

Although I saw some light patches that freaked me out yesterday, I am extremely thankful that at this point I have seen no signs of columnaris on any of their bodies. THAT warrants a HUGE knock on wood. Bows and columnaris on the body usually spell eventual euthanasia in my experience, and any of them could still develop it. Thus explains a lot of the mothering and smothering and precautions I've been taking.

So, unless something unforeseen happens, I have a school of +/-14 out of the +/- 15 pagwi I received. Ever tried to count schooling fish? Heh.

Going to leave the bubble wand running for at least two more days. Scheduled a water change today, but will put off till tomorrow as that type of stress could tax them back to where they were or worse.

--------

OH! This got lost with all the pagwi nuturing I've had to do, but I also received a new school of gertrudae from Tanner yesterday They arrived in wonderful condition. He sent eight, and, bless his heart, at least 7 of them are female! I have four males and two females in my tank currently and the males have been running the girls ragged to the point where I was starting to worry about them.

After I turned off all the lights and introduced the new girls to the tank, an interesting thing happened. My two dominant males sectioned themselves off with the two older girls, and the two lesser males took it upon themselves to "look after" the new ones. They schooled around the surface with them -- no displays or breeding aggression whatsoever -- calm and easy as you please. Almost as if they were giving them a tour.

The tank used to be this frantic frenzy thing, with the girls at the center of the four males. Now, the tank is much more peaceful. The girls are fitting in well and it doesn't seem crowded at all. I *will* be moving them to a 20L in March and keeping this ten for breeding the best ones. Sometimes it's really important to keep those male/female ratios.

Roan

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Stingray,

Heh, taking pictures of babies that are barely a ¼" long in a planted 75g would be quite an accomplishment :)

Have to wait until they are old enough to swim out front and not hide.

In the meantime, here's where I posted the pictures of the Goos when I first got them:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65242&highlight=goo+obo

Those could be the very parents of the babies in question. I haven't seen any since that initial siting however. Haven't had the time. You have to sit in front of the tank for at least 15 mins before you see anything -- if at all.

Roan

Lobo.

sheep in wolf's clothing
Feb 24, 2005
Nashville
wow they look a lot like darters that are found in the rivers around here (tennessee)... where does the goo name come from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store