I almost supported animal cruelty...yuck!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
I have also heard that dyed fish fade with time, so if this is true, why do it to begin with. MONEY of course.

Are the neon colored danios dyed?

I would think that places like Petsmart would not want to have anything to do with animal cruelty.

schmidtfarm

AC Members
Oct 22, 2008
North Carolina
Awhile back I read that a major department store was selling Gold fish sealed in tiny containers, I don't recall all the details but someone made a big stink about it and the store stopped buying/selling them. When I first heard about the practice of dying I vowed to never purchase them. Anyone here know some writers/editors of Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Practical fish keeping, any other fish magazines, major web sites, Etc. - Ask them to publish an expose on this topic. Write to the big box stores and complain, boycott. It won't go away completedly, but maybe together we can minimize alot of suffering.:headshake2:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have also heard that dyed fish fade with time, so if this is true, why do it to begin with. MONEY of course.
Yes, it is true. Dyed specimens are more vulnerable to various skin diseases especially lymphocystis, an incurable viral disease as their slime coat has been damaged already by acids or injections.

Are the neon colored danios dyed?
No, they aren't. They're called glofish, genetically modified fish. Their genes were spliced with the DNA from a jellyfish to result in the glowing form of the zebra danios. They are not harmed at all but many people just dislike them for aesthetic reasons. I myself don't find them appealing either. They were intended for laboratory tests on water pollutions but they somehow leaked out into the market.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Classic dying process

The jellybean parrot is a classic example of this. I will never buy a fish that has been dyed, tatooed or geneticaly altered like the glofish.

I even find myself telling others at the pet stores when they are looking at them of the process and how it significantly reduces their life span.

I'm not a big fan of the cross breeding either...just like in the doggie world when people cross poodles. Just not in to it all.

jellybeans.jpg

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
From what I have read GloFish and zebra danios have about the same lifespan. Keep in mind no painful process was done to these fish only that one gene was swapped for a another which gives a glowing characteristic.

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
it is all marketing, the almighty dollar. just like comercials for toys, they attract children, and who can say no to that face. there are so many parents that know nothing about fish and just get them because theyre kid wants them, without knowing or giving a crap about the proper care and treatment of them. my daughter once asked me for a tatooed fish. once i explained things to her she felt so bad she almost cried. IMO, it is our job as parents to help our kids understand these things. I would never discourage my child from any of her interests, but i do try to take the responsiblity of informing her seriously. if she has an interest i am not familiar with, i consider it a good idea to find her someone who is to learn from. unfortunately fish arent for everyone, although it is portrayed as such. point is not everyone considers research before purchase a good plan.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I think God does a better job in deciding the color of fish. If it ain't a natural occurrence, it is man's tinkering for $$$. I don't knowingly support it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store