What should I pay for 125 gallon used from craigslist

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
There's not that big a difference in price no matter where you live. You simply need to understand what a deal is and what is not. A deal is NOT someone trying to recoup what they spent getting out of the hobby. A deal IS someone just wanting to get rid of something they no longer use that is taking up space. People are always trying to get back what they put into the tank on Craigslist. I laugh at them and keep looking. With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC
With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.
I guess you're talking about a lot of patience... This is a good deal, because I have been looking on craigslist for about 9 months now for a 125 setup like that under 500 bucks...:rant2:

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
There's not that big a difference in price no matter where you live. You simply need to understand what a deal is and what is not. A deal is NOT someone trying to recoup what they spent getting out of the hobby. A deal IS someone just wanting to get rid of something they no longer use that is taking up space. People are always trying to get back what they put into the tank on Craigslist. I laugh at them and keep looking. With a bit of patience, you'll find great deals. This one, unfortunately, was only a so so deal.

That is absolutely untrue! There are many factors that go into the cost of a used tank. A deal IMO is based on the value of what you got vs. what you paid. Just because you got a bunch of stuff cheap doesn't mean that it was a better deal than someone who paid more for what they got. It just means you paid less, not that you got a better deal.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
So, you're saying that $1500 worth of stuff for $100 is not a better deal than $1000 worth of stuff for $450? That makes a whole lot of sense.
That's not what I was saying. What I am saying is that the value of the deal is directly relevant to where you live. If someone were to go to my LFS and purchase all the stuff new that the OP got it could run them close to $4,000. The OP got them for $450. According to you, you could have purchased all the same items you got used for $150 for $1500 new.

So where I come from he got a great deal. ;)

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If your LFS charges $4000 for 2 canisters, an oak stand, 2 light strips, and a 125 gallon tank, you need a new LFS because they are charging you 4x what that stuff should sell for.

BTW, from YOUR LFS, the stuff I got for $100 would cost $7000. HAHA!

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
things are more expensive in other regions on the retail market. his setup would cost about 1000-1500 bux if it was new in new york. not to mention a tax rate of over 8%. i would assume that is all-glass brand he got. 450 is a great price, dont listen to what others say, just enjoy your tank man. have fun

Last edited:

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yah, but it's only a few hundred dollars difference throughout the country if anything not 4x as much. Case in point, the setup here in New Orleans would cost 1000-1500 new depending on the LFS. So no difference and I'd expect New York to be much higher than here.

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
in the city, it will definitely cost more rather than other places in ny. and hey, if u would of talked like a really cheap person, that guy probably wouldnt even bother helping u moving the tank to your place at all. lol

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
If your LFS charges $4000 for 2 canisters, an oak stand, 2 light strips, and a 125 gallon tank, you need a new LFS because they are charging you 4x what that stuff should sell for.

BTW, from YOUR LFS, the stuff I got for $100 would cost $7000. HAHA!
My LFS store is awful I agree. Many things are marked up well over 500%. Not to mention tax is 8% here.

And you right it would cost that much here for you setup. I agree you got a great deal as well ;)

Edit: For reference a 125 gallon tank was on sale last year for $250 at it lowest price, which over half off...Just for the tank.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store