What should I pay for 125 gallon used from craigslist

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuthoht

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Well I've been in the aquarium hobby for over 20 years. I've never owned a tank larger than 40 gallons. In that time I've tried most everything I could fit into tanks that size or smaller.

I know its fairly common but I'm interested in trying an oscar tank. I was thinking about a pair of oscars with some other compatiable tank mates. I think with a tank that size I'd like to go with some larger fish.

As a side note the owner is willing to part with some of his mbuna cichlids. They're are probably 30-40 of them in the tank but they're all small 1-2 inchs long that he bred. I'm considering just taking them but I'd rather stock with my own fish instead of just inheriting someone elses. They also would not go with oscars.

titansfever83

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
AL
I would take the mbuna's if you think you can get rid of them quick. would be like cash back for buying the tank or maybe a butt load of store credit

WateryWorld

Girl out of water
Oct 27, 2008
Louisville KY
The stand being oak adds to the value. Looks to be in very good condition, at least better than most you find used, even if you say it is dirty. If you want to save, maybe wait for one that doesn't have an oak stand. It's nice looking, I wish I had that stand. I think he set a good asking price if it comes with all necessary misc supplies.

Kuthoht

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
So I bought the tank. Negotiated the price down to $450 from $550.

The man who sold me the tank helped me move it from his house to mine which was only like 3 miles away. He also threw in a bunch of flat rock he had used for cichlids.

I have the tank setup and filled. The tank came with over 100 lbs of pool filter sand substrate. I choose to keep this as I like the way it looks and I've never actually used sand. Since the tank was already setup for 2 years the sand was established with bacteria so that was another plus to keeping it. It did make the tank VERY murky and cloudy after first filling lol. Huge bacterial bloom but its mostly cleared up by now.

After cleaning up the tank and filters its in really good shape I'd say. One of the intake tubes for the eheim filter broke when I was moving it. The plastic was very brittle and just snapped. I was able to find a replacement on Big Al's for $7 so not a big deal really but I'm only running with one filter for the time being.

I have 1 tiger oscar, 1 tinfoil bard, 3 silver dollars, 1 pictus catfish currently in the tank. The oscar is only like 2 inches long so its a baby. I hope these are all capatiable tank mates in the long run.

I've attached a few pics of the tank one of which shows how cloudy the water was after initial filling.

IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0110.JPG

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I wouldn't have paid that much for it, but all that matters is that you feel that you got a good deal on it.

I paid $100 for a 210 gallon with custom carpenter built stand, xP3, 40 gallon sump, 3 Eheim pumps, 36" UV sterilizer, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. It had a Fluval, but the motor was burnt out on it.

Which is why I never consider filters like that in the price. They could work for a long time, but they also could burn out the very next day. It's a chance you take. They are far to expensive to repair that's for certain.

Congrats on your tank. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a long time.

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Pricing used tanks depends a lot on the area you live in. 500 dollars was a nice price for that, unless you are on the west coast where large tanks go really cheap..

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
Pricing used tanks depends a lot on the area you live in. 500 dollars was a nice price for that, unless you are on the west coast where large tanks go really cheap..
not really... here in the west coast I think the standard price for a 100G(just the tank itself) is about 125$ which is not too bad

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
not really... here in the west coast I think the standard price for a 100G(just the tank itself) is about 125$ which is not too bad
Here on the east cost, you would be lucky if you got that for under 300. Check out craiglist and compare between states on the east coast and states on the west coast.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store