What will eat blue-green algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
It's pretty hard picking out the algae, even if it isn't growing because of Erythromycin. Are there any fish, snails, shrimp, anything that will eat the adult algae? Oh, and will otos eat the young stuff?

Edit: If anything does eat cyano bacteria in freshwater...

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
It's pretty hard picking out the algae, even if it isn't growing because of Erythromycin. Are there any fish, snails, shrimp, anything that will eat the adult algae? Oh, and will otos eat the young stuff?

Edit: If anything does eat cyano bacteria in freshwater...
I don't know what eats it (if anything does it will only be a temporary fix) but I know what causes it and how to get rid of it.

BGA is not actually algae. It is actually a photosynthetic bacteria. (I see you already know this but for the sake of other readers I'll repeat) Also, it can fix its own nitrogen. (As a result of this complex chemical process, oxygen is toxic to it) This is all very relevant to how it can be combated and removed from the tank, where if untreated, it will envelop healthy plants and kill them by blocking out the light.

Cause: Low nitrate levels (NO3), Low water circulation creating dead spots, and organic waste build up.

Treatment: Maracyn dosing (follow instructions on packet) OR you can always do a 3-5 day black out. (I would use this as a last resort)

Since it already has a foothold removing it manually will only provide a temporary solution. (It might make it grow back faster) Since it is a bacteria there is no way to get it all out of your tank this way. Dosing nitrates and increasing oxygen through circulation will not help at this stage.

Your only real options are Maracyn treatment, blackout, or break down the entire tank and sterilize everything. Obviously Maracyn is the preferred choice. When dosing keep an eye on nitrate spikes as the BGA bacteria dies. If they get too high you can keep them in check with water changes.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
NOTHING eats bga. gravel vac, gravel vac, gravel vac

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
erythromycin does work all by itself. It will turn brown and you can stir up the tank to have it filtered out.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I have bumblebee clithons and olive nerites that I know for sure eat cyano. I assume the others will too, just don't have any in my cyano doom tank so can't say for sure.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
NOTHING eats bga. gravel vac, gravel vac, gravel vac

My python doesn't have really great suction. Most algae chunks are too heavy :duh:

erythromycin does work all by itself. It will turn brown and you can stir up the tank to have it filtered out.

I sure hope it turns brown. It hasn't yet, but it's only been a day or two. It hasn't grown, though :)

I have bumblebee clithons and olive nerites that I know for sure eat cyano. I assume the others will too, just don't have any in my cyano doom tank so can't say for sure.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Follow EM direction to a tee and it'll clear up your BGA....but, if you don't fix the problem it will definitely come back--quickly.

2 things to do that will prevent BGA are:

1)Increase circulation. Hydor Koralia works wonders

2)Dose nitrogen

The EM can have an effect on your biofilter if you use it too long. On the other side of that, any negative effects the EM has on your cycle will be more than taken care of by a heavily planted tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store