What will eat blue-green algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
I find that BGA can establish in a planted tank with high nitrate.

I have a heavily planted tank with nitrate in the 40+ and BGA is a problem there.
if dosing with em make sure you follow the complete course.
if any BGA is left it will set up house again.

I've been mostly told it's a byproduct of low nitrates, which makes no sense at all to me. Now I'm being told it's from high nitrates. Kind of confusing ;):confused:

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
I've seen this stuff at LFS that I sometimes go to for window shopping. I'm not so sure if it's a lack of circulation or not, since some of my tanks don't have any circulation at all. I did notice one time on an air-stone of mine.

I have a white ceramic air-stone, and it was running in a 10G planted, filtered tank. There was a decent amount of circulation, and defiantely not a lack of O2. The air-stone wouldn't be a "dead spot", and the water tested to have 0 Nitrate, plants ate it all. After a few months, the air-stone started developing some bluish color to it, and I was suspicious, so it was removed, and bleached. There was also another air-stone in that tank that didn't show these signs.

I really didn't know if it was BGA or not, but I took action before I wanted to find out. It's never returned since, and now the same air-stone is acting as a CO2 diffuser instead of an O2 supplier.

Hope my experience helps a bit.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I've been mostly told it's a byproduct of low nitrates, which makes no sense at all to me. Now I'm being told it's from high nitrates. Kind of confusing ;):confused:

I think what star_rider meant is that in his(her?) experience, BGA can even establish itself in a tank with high nitrates.

Low nitrates is decidely a condition which can lead to BGA. In star-rider's case, I would guess it was a low circulation issue which can also result in BGA.

That's where I come from by suggestion dosing nitrate and increasing circulation.

You have a decent amount of plants in there, with good low light. If you have a test kit, test nitrate. Your LFS will likely do this for you as well. If it's 0 ppm, you need nitrogen. If it's not, I'd increase circulation. Powerheads are the cheapest fix for this.

And again, kill it with EM, but be prepared with something to prevent it from coming back.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Well the algae is almost completely gone. The few dead spots there are (only a few) have been sucked with a turkey baster continually. :)

I'll try to remember to test my nitrates, might do it right now.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Nitrate is 6, maybe 7. Tank was changed a few days ago, and really, I thought it was heavily stocked. Has a AC 110 and AC 50 on it, so filtering over 2x the standard requirement. I change the filters every 2 weeks or so.

Also noticed that the water is a bit cloudy. Not "Marco polo, where's the apisto" cloudy, but enough to be noticeable. Probably the cyano dying off, or is it? Anything wrong with this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store