Take a look at my cold water octopus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
I wish all wild collectors observed your one way trip policy!
I don't think many wild collectors think about it much, which is why I mention it on the forums. The problem of contaminating wild populations is why the Dept of Fish and Game, in California, made it illegal to take fish, alive, away from the ocean, and why they frown on people keeping tanks with local animals at all. Currently it's not illegal for me to keep my octopus tank, but that will change if collectors aren't careful. It's tough to have to kill animals that you've considered your "pets", but in the end, if you just can't keep them anymore, it's the only responsible thing to do. Luckily, octopus only live about 18 months, so it's not a very long term commitment.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice shots!

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
Just awesome... my dream specimen, but clearly for experts only.
Experts Only? This is my very first marine tank! I really did my homework, and I'm a naturally careful and meticulous guy, but I didn't wait to become an expert before I got my octopus. If you really want to do it, then go to tonmo.com, and read everything. Then ask lots of questions. If you can plan well, and go slowly and carefully, you can keep an octopus. Be careful, but don't be intimidated.

Chilly Willie

AC Members
May 19, 2009
San Diego, Ca, USA
Here are some updated photos

First, the Full Tank Shot. The octopus is peeking over the top of the rock pile near the top right - his favorite perch.

A better show of the octopus

Here's a close up of the golden gorgonian, showing the hardware it uses to catch rotifers.

And a couple more glamor shots of the octopus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store