A planted tank thats possibly an industry first.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
Looking forward to the update with bated breath. Phenominal tank friend. Very nicely done.

I must say I hope the updated pic will include a shot from a bit of a distance. I'd love to know how this setup looks from your recliner. Must be a little slice of heaven.

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
"UPDATE" A planted tanks that's possibly an industry first

Thank you to one and all for choosing my tank as the TOTY. I was very surprised when I recevied the email from an admin.
Due to traveling for business for the last year. The tank has gone idle... would be the best way to put it. The Mrs.'s has been feeding and doing weekly water changes. Co2 has been discontinued to slow down the plant growth. While some plants have suffered others have flurished. Pellia is now the dominant plant. Without Co2 riccia has slowed way down, other than two 150 watt metal halide bulbs I guess the tank has gone low tech, there's no fertz added, the lights are 2' off the top of the tank, Co2 discontinued. Water changes of 30% and fish are fed maybe once every two or three days. Yes I'd prefer if they were fed more but the Mrs.'s has done a fine job for the last year, I can't really complain. I have found there's now small amano shrimp in the tank, I guess they bred. And now I have two striped pelco's where I only bought one and those two seem to have bred as there's a 1" striped pelco I've found drifting across the glass, pretty cool.
The upper section of the tank is doing equaly as well and in just the last month we noticed the birds were trying to pull down the vining pants and were making a nest. So I broke down and bought them a nest after reading that finches prefer to scavange someone else's hard work for their own nest. Well, just this morning I took a small mirror and took a look inside and sure enough there's four eggs. Now this is going to be a problem with the open tank, I doubt babies will do well to avoid drowning. Well here's the pics of how she looks today. Wish I had more time at home to concentrate on her but that's life.
Thank you for all your praise.

TOTY-09-7.jpg TOTY-09-10.jpg TOTY-09-11.jpg TOTY-09-16.jpg TOTY-09-23.jpg TOTY-09-28.jpg TOTY-09-30.jpg

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
all i can say is WOW! That is truly amazing.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just awesome!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Wow. You know your tank is tha best when it's freshwater and amanos (who are supposed to need brackish to fully develop) breed in it, and plecos hybridize. Also, I counted 21 black neons, so I guess everyone's breeding :D Really looking forward to seeing your finches rise to 6! I'd vote for this tank as TOTY again this year.

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
Wow. You know your tank is tha best when it's freshwater and amanos (who are supposed to need brackish to fully develop) breed in it, and plecos hybridize. Also, I counted 21 black neons, so I guess everyone's breeding :D Really looking forward to seeing your finches rise to 6! I'd vote for this tank as TOTY again this year.
Thanks for the praise but i'd not add the tank again to a compitition. At least not with AC. If I was to revamp the set up i'd think about it. But it's time to move on and see what others have created. I do have plans for a third set-up but i don't see where i have the time. i already have the glass the tank will be custom 26" high 6' long and 30" deep. my dream tank. what i invission for that set up is simmilar to this now setup with the falls and the planted tank. but it's going to be a challange due to the depth of the new tank the falls will have to be set up and likely i'll never have access to it again. Time will tell. The black neons have not bread i added at least 25 about a year to a year and a half ago. I haven't bought any fish since they we added. This morning i noticed that one female ammano has a clutch now. i'll have to look the next i'm home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store