finnished 5 gallon bucket diy canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
price list

home depot

zip ties 1.74

2 metal clamps 2.10
purple primer 4.85
pvc cement glue 3.76

wallmart

polyfil 2.97

furguson plumbing supply

2 pvc fittings 3/4 inch to 3/4 inch threaded 1.04

wholesale supply plumbing store

3 male barb 3/4 inch fittings 2.51

3 threaded 3/4 male to 3/4 thread female 2.25

holden hardware store

15 feet 3/4 in 1 inch out vinyl tubing 25.31

local fish stores

small rocks 14.99

4 feet blue filter media 3.96
350 gph mag water pump 79.88

lowes

large rock sakrete 3.18
play sand 3.47
egg crate white light fixture cover 8.00
16 J bolts and nuts 8.80
washers .98
bucket lid 1.98
silicone tube 5.97

free/already had

2 buckets
yarn
caulk gun
box cutter
wrench
pre filter end
large washers
straight bolts

TOTAL 177.74

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
hey i followed your other thread...i am trying a different design it is on this thread
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146907
can you think of any advice on this since you have completed what i have been obsessed with for so long :)

I want to try the gamma lid instead of the other lid since i figure it will be easier to remove. any advice will be great!

btw congrats on finishing the filter!

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
for me the cost of this DIY filter is not wise use of my filter money when you can buy a FX5 on ebay for just about what this DIY cost to build.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well the saving on canister and sump whether DIY or store bought will all be too expensive for all of us as soon as cap and trade legislation finally passes and electric power cost us $0.50 a KWH. We will all be doing DIY sponge and air-pump threads connected to solar panels LOL.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
for me the cost of this DIY filter is not wise use of my filter money when you can buy a FX5 on ebay for just about what this DIY cost to build.
dont know you at all but from this comment i can see that you are not a "true" diyer. i mean if i can build sumthing for the same or less cost than buying it im going to do it. and then i can improve on it later and put add on's into it. its like buying a laptop vs building your own pc desk top. yeah the lap top is gonna work but what real upgrades are you going to do to it? nothing just change the ram(filter media) right. with a diy desk top your gonna get a new video card put sum more hard drive space in there get you a B A sound card to run your 8.1 surround sound by logitech. i mean the posibilitys are endless. and because you made it your not afraid to brake it cause you know the parts that you can break are right at the hardware store and dont cost anything more than 10 bucks. and if you build it right it will be a quick easy fix. GOTTA LOVE DIY. DIY TILL I DYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
whats the gph?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
iamvictor2, don't take it personal.
I too have found filters that work that are cheaper to buy but....

IMO, the biggest benefit to DIY is the lesson learned.

there are plenty of filters out there that will cost less to purchase and possibly outperform many DIY attempts.
but as you know the knowledge you picked up is invaluable and helps to understand more of what goes into and the princicples behind the product.

Last edited:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Ok so you're using a 350gph pump...I can guarantee you that filter does not have 350gph coming out of the outlet hose. Have you measured the output at all? thatwould be a good detail to have in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store