finnished 5 gallon bucket diy canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
austinpetemo could be asking if you measured the final gph output

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
Ok so you're using a 350gph pump...I can guarantee you that filter does not have 350gph coming out of the outlet hose. Have you measured the output at all? thatwould be a good detail to have in there.
no i have not measured the gph coming out of the filter but i do know that the flow is twice as much as i need for my 55 gallon tank. i do know that with the head pressure at 4 feet the flow is almost identical with or without the filter media installed. this is because i have such a large area for the water to flow threw compared to the dinky filters that are sold in stores. and yes it is not going to be the same gph coming out of the 3/4 inch tube that the manufacture specified because during testing they only test with one hose hooked up and it is a straight shot up. mine has different size fitting on the inside and there are 2 tubes crating more friction and there are bends in tubes creating more friction. if i were the manufacturer i would list the best case scenario also for head pressure vs gph. with the parimiters that i have now i wouldnt be able to test the gph without a gph tester. i dont have the means and dont want to buy a gph reader.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
your correct i am not a true "DIYer" when i can buy the item premade for less than i can make it.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I am a hardcore DIYer..
But I DIY out of necessity.

I mean If I cant afford the manufactured unit, I'll make my own, or if theres nothing that fits me needs I DIY.

But I bought my FX5 from a guy on Ebay Brand new for $199 with free shipping.
Couldnt pass that up.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Got my 2nd fx5 for $189 but had to pay shipping , still a good deal.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
you can make one yourself with a 5 gallon bucket and a stopwatch.
i understand this but i would have to make a platform at exatly 4 feet head and try to keep the lines in the bucket and run the stop watch at the same time and then even when i plug the pump it i wont equal out the pressure to get a acurate reading untill about 3 gallons into the 5 gallons. very un acurate and lots of unneeded work. ill just guess by how nice and pretty my water is in my tank and how the water tests turn out.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Just get a 1 gallon water jug, hold it at tank top level, turn on canister and click stopwatch, turn off and click stopwatch when it is full.

An XP3 is about $130 off eBay.

There's such a thing as hardcore DIYer; that you are not. A hardcore DIYer investigates what other people have done and improves on it. A NOOB DIYer tries to reinvent the wheel, says he's going for inexpensive, then makes it more expensive than what you can buy store bought item of better quality.

And don't even bother questioning my level of DIY. I've been building filters, tanks, and other aquarium related DIY projects for over 25 years.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
Just get a 1 gallon water jug, hold it at tank top level, turn on canister and click stopwatch, turn off and click stopwatch when it is full.

An XP3 is about $130 off eBay.

There's such a thing as hardcore DIYer; that you are not. A hardcore DIYer investigates what other people have done and improves on it. A NOOB DIYer tries to reinvent the wheel, says he's going for inexpensive, then makes it more expensive than what you can buy store bought item of better quality.

And don't even bother questioning my level of DIY. I've been building filters, tanks, and other aquarium related DIY projects for over 25 years.
to my knoledge this is the fist ever working 5 gallon bucket canister filter. i saw on several threads that a 5 gallon regular bucket could not work at all because of the lid not being able to hold the pressure. i did it and it works great. so dont say im not a hard core diyer caue i did sumtnign you couldnt do. im sorry if it offends you that i am better than you and did sumthing origanal and not steal other peoples ideas. i had no plans or pictures or people to help except people that tryed and failed. i chanlenge you to fined another 5 gallon regular bucket canister filter that has been made before mine. i have noticed since i have done it that there are several people on other forms that are trying to do what i did

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store