finnished 5 gallon bucket diy canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
drilled a hole in the hood to fit the output tube in. also secured the intake tube to the wall. i cut out 2 slots on the wood stand so the bucket would fit under the tank and also cut a half circle on the bottom shelf of the stand so the bucket would fit nicely without having to bend the tubes. and then painted the cut out parts. i have had it running in my tank for 5 days now and have had no leaks. i have not cleaned or changed water in my tank for over 3 weeks now and the water is the cleanest i have ever seen it. i think its cleaner than when i fist set up the tank.

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8897.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG IMG_8898.JPG IMG_8897.JPG IMG_8896.JPG IMG_8895.JPG IMG_8894.JPG IMG_8893.JPG

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Congratulations!
I recommend you place a couple of those makeshift hose straps under your cabinet shelf to give relief to those bent canister lid fitting to take some of the stress off the lid plastic that are bending so that the plastic doesn't become fatigued and crack.

You may also want to consider building a spare canister so you can just swap it out and worry about dismantling later especially since repairs might be required a spare will get you up and running faster.

You might also want to consider some shut off valves encase of an emergency you or someone else can learn how to stop the water in the event of a rupture or major leak, as all canisters even large $43 clones have them.

Again great concept and hope it works out for you.;)

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
What are the different ways to do makeshift hose straps to prevent kink/narrowing of hoses? Thanks.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
What are the different ways to do makeshift hose straps to prevent kink/narrowing of hoses? Thanks.
screws and fabric like materials or you can use a rubber material or you can get the zip ties with the hole in the end of them to screw in to what ever you need. or if you are really rambunctious and want one that you can remove the hose you can take a wire coat hanger cut it to the size you need bend one small complete loop in one end take a screw and washer and screw it in and then take the other end of the wire and make a half loop and screw it in with a washer. tighten the side with the full loop tight and tighten the side with the half loop loosely. that way you can slide the half loop out and move your hose. understand????

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
what is the TOTAL cost of this DIY canister?

Crispino Ramos

AC Members
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Real Name
Crispino Ramos
screws and fabric like materials or you can use a rubber material or you can get the zip ties with the hole in the end of them to screw in to what ever you need. or if you are really rambunctious and want one that you can remove the hose you can take a wire coat hanger cut it to the size you need bend one small complete loop in one end take a screw and washer and screw it in and then take the other end of the wire and make a half loop and screw it in with a washer. tighten the side with the full loop tight and tighten the side with the half loop loosely. that way you can slide the half loop out and move your hose. understand????
that's clever, thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store