29G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Finally STARTING to like where my hardscape is going.

4th attempt

7th attempt - Just forget you saw it! :) Too much open space for the type of "old growth" look I am going for but man this piece of wood always tempts me!

Uh, 12th attempt? Getting there but those 2 wavy up and to the right pointing ones were to matchy matchy.

13th attempt - where I am right now. Plan to add lots more wood still and those rocks and towels are just there to prop things up but I will add rocks in along the base of the wood in the end.

General idea with this scape (if I keep it) is lots of height and spikey wood on the left and low flowing wood on the right. I would do some anubias and crypts around the base of the wood, cover most of the wood in moss (that's why I need to add lots more wood) and MAYBE some tall grassy vals or tall crypts in the back. I can't do much more before I get the substrate in there cuz I don't want to take it all apart. Substrate will be purchased tonight but I have a 2 day birthday event this weekend sooo...substrate washing on monday? I plan to visit our long lost friend Msjinkzd on Wednesday or Thursday to get the plants so I gotta get this done! And I haven't pre-soaked the wood! :oops: Luckily all my wood except a few pieces have been in several tanks so they should sink quickly. Poor planning! Maybe I will tear this apart and soak them over the weekend.....

Feedback Please! I need it when it comes to hardscape. :(

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh, so any opinion of substrate color now? These are the ones I have on hand or can grab easily.

Oil-Dri in my 72g

Black S grade Colorquartz in an old fry tank

Tahian moon sand - in old 72g cichlid tank

Pool filter sand in my 58g juli tank

White T grade colorquartz in my temporalis tank (syno cat is just too fast lol)

Oil-Dri is the only one with any CEC ability so I have to lean towards it but I have so many pretty options! :D

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh I see you posted more pics while I was typing & goofing around. Red shrimp look very nice on black, I like colorquartz but couldn't find it when I wanted it. To me Tahitian moon looks a bit too shiny sometimes. Not a huge fan of stark white, pool sand, meh, not for cherry shrimp. I wish I lived somewhere where it was darker, yours isn't bad, mine's lighter I think. I love the Peace River look but hard to justify the cost for another inert substrate.

The Oil Dri isn't bad but to be super picky I don't like the red bits, almost shrimp color.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I was thinking you could add crystal shrimp. Black crystal shrimp are awesome, reds are cool too. And maybe some Amanos, only just for a variety.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I like the last 1. Is that Oil-Dri? It's darker than I'd thought. Will you have a background to cover wires & filter?
That is a towel. ;) Yes, I will add that thick craft paper, forgot the name of it as a background. I used it on my 58g and it works SO well. Probably black for now but I might try different things in the future since it so easy to change.
Oh I see you posted more pics while I was typing & goofing around. Red shrimp look very nice on black, I like colorquartz but couldn't find it when I wanted it. To me Tahitian moon looks a bit too shiny sometimes. Not a huge fan of stark white, pool sand, meh, not for cherry shrimp. I wish I lived somewhere where it was darker, yours isn't bad, mine's lighter I think. I love the Peace River look but hard to justify the cost for another inert substrate.

The Oil Dri isn't bad but to be super picky I don't like the red bits, almost shrimp color.
(I forgot to mention that oil-dri picture does have some eco-complete and flourite black sand mixed into it.) The red bits are a bit annoying for me too but they are supposed to help with iron, any red clay is "supposed" to, pfft. The oil-dri does look pretty natural though and on the dark side at least. The colorquartz S grade looks killer with red shrimp or green plants or anything really but completely unnatural. PFS has only been a consideration for this tank cause some many aquascapes I see that I like surprisingly have that natural tan sand. I think I have something in the basement that looks a lot like peace river but bigger. Found a picture of it, it's much bigger, never mind. I know what you mean, I hate how much they charge for substrates!

I was thinking you could add crystal shrimp. Black crystal shrimp are awesome, reds are cool too. And maybe some Amanos, only just for a variety.
Hmm, crystal shrimp prefer the opposite side of the spectrum though and Amanos are know to be too aggressive of eaters and starve out the cherries. I can confirm their appetites for sure, things would take a whole algae wafer and run off with it! Pretty funny actually but my pleco didn't think so. :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, towel-dri. I wonder if turface mixed with oil dri would work, have you done that combo?

Yeah, the red clay & iron thing. I bought some clay to roll my own root tabs but never got around to it. I think it's tanker that said she gets algae from dosing iron...right after someone gave a bag of the dry. Never used it either. I'm the worst at ferts.

I think you & I both have a basement/garage full of fish stuff from over the years including Lake Mich rocks from our first tank! Still can't find things like my UV light from moving over 4 years ago, you sound more organized.

Back on topic, are nerite snails compatible with your water? They're quite pretty & MSJ used to sell them.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I think turface and oil-dri would work very well together.

Ok, no laughing...My very first personal tank (my parents had a tank when I was young but that doesn't count for me) setup mid 07'

I gifted the tank itself to my best friend when I realized how inefficent this decorative tank was BUT I still have the castle (in my 72g currently, don't tell anyone! lol), the gravel (which I was just talking about), the no fishing sign was my parents from like 1986 and it is also in the 72g, I am currently using that filter on my temporalis tank and the very first fish I ever got was a BN pleco which only just passed away recently from breeding injuries. So yeah, I hang onto to stuff. lol I do have half my 2nd floor living room, basement and a good chunk of our out buildings filled with aquarium/pond stuff. I haven't had to buy something substantial in a LONG time. ;)

Back on topic! Yes nerites do pretty well for me and I will be getting some...probably. I hate all the eggs they leave behind. I like assassin snails but don't want to chance the stories of them eating shrimp to be true. OH just saw Rachel has zebra otos in QT, tempting as a future resident!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What no royal blue gravel?!? No castle here, but of course a no fishing sign (I think I may be your parents age, lol).

I got my only nerite a week before going on vacation. Came home to a very unhappy QT but most of my other auction acquisitions were ok, I think he starved after algae eating. So I never got to experience the rock-like eggs everywhere...are they sexable? There was some talk of that way back when. I also enjoyed purple & pink mystery snails...except they were in a rimless & used to crawl up & over & fall on the floor. Luckily with a ping pong ball thunk & I could rescue them. I never saw the egg masses at the top like many have but I just wanted the 1's I had not extras.

Zebra otos are so pretty, I bet you have a tank they'd be happy in! I'm absolutely positive they're shrimp safe & maybe you can breed them!!! Get a bunch! OK, that's my enabling for today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store