Cloudy tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mg's Jungle

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2017
I have a 20 gallon tank and 3 plants...Madagascar Lace, Ludwigia - Broad, and Ludwigia Needle Leaf. Problems is the water is cloudy (looks green). Tank was clear before I put them in. Are the plants the cause of it? I have done several 4 Gallon water changes and nothings is working. I have purified water with reverse osmosis. I have LED full spectrum lights. Do I have to remove plants?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Sounds like it's green water/algae.

It could be the action of planting stirred up something in the substrate that caused the bloom.

Knowing the specific light you have, if it's run at full power (if applicable) and the length of time that it is on would be helpful.

Also knowing anything you add to the tank would be good too, injecting CO2, excel/CO2 booster, nutrients of some kind.

Likely bigger water changes would help, and a complete blackout, unplug the light and cover the tank in something that will black it out for a few days, everything should be fine, but it will reduce the light available to the algae

Reactions: Mg's Jungle

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
Gday gday, how long are u running your lights each day if you are running your lights for to long u will start to get a green algae bloom in the water but don't forget if you don't run your lights long enough each day it won't kill bad bacteria in the water

Mg's Jungle

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2017
Gday gday, how long are u running your lights each day if you are running your lights for to long u will start to get a green algae bloom in the water but don't forget if you don't run your lights long enough each day it won't kill bad bacteria in the water

Thank you...it turned out to be green algae bloom. I have been doing 7 or 8 gallon water changes and it's clearing up. I've cut the hours the lights been on to 10 sometimes earlier.

Reactions: Guppies99

Mg's Jungle

Registered Member
Oct 10, 2017
I'd do 6 or 8 hours of lighting...ever

I'm gonna try that..I have cut back to 9 but gonna start going down and then achnid (however you spell that) lightening down. I have been doing 25% to 50% water changes and it's clearing up nicely...Could plants be causing it too?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Blue Green Algae is really a bacteria, and not easy to rid. It probably came in with the plants.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
BGA is present in all conditions, everywhere! Like most algae & bacteria, it's just waiting to overtake any tank, any time. Lots of water changes help...but you may need to look to an antibiotic AFTER you fix what's wrong with your tank parameters.

Do you live in Austratalia? Just guessing from the g'day, lol. You may not have as many options as we in the States have...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store