Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Cloudy tank

Discussion in 'Planted Aquariums' started by Mg's Jungle, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Mg's Jungle

Mg's Jungle Registered Member

Oct 15, 2017
    I have a 20 gallon tank and 3 plants...Madagascar Lace, Ludwigia - Broad, and Ludwigia Needle Leaf. Problems is the water is cloudy (looks green). Tank was clear before I put them in. Are the plants the cause of it? I have done several 4 Gallon water changes and nothings is working. I have purified water with reverse osmosis. I have LED full spectrum lights. Do I have to remove plants?

2. dougall

dougall ...

Yesterday at 9:58 PM
    Sounds like it's green water/algae.

It could be the action of planting stirred up something in the substrate that caused the bloom.

Knowing the specific light you have, if it's run at full power (if applicable) and the length of time that it is on would be helpful.

Also knowing anything you add to the tank would be good too, injecting CO2, excel/CO2 booster, nutrients of some kind.

Likely bigger water changes would help, and a complete blackout, unplug the light and cover the tank in something that will black it out for a few days, everything should be fine, but it will reduce the light available to the algae

Mg's Jungle likes this.
  3. Guppies99

Guppies99 Registered Member

Sunday at 1:44 AM
    Gday gday, how long are u running your lights each day if you are running your lights for to long u will start to get a green algae bloom in the water but don't forget if you don't run your lights long enough each day it won't kill bad bacteria in the water

4. Mg's Jungle

Oct 15, 2017

Thank you...it turned out to be green algae bloom. I have been doing 7 or 8 gallon water changes and it's clearing up. I've cut the hours the lights been on to 10 sometimes earlier.

Guppies99 likes this.
  5. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Sunday at 12:17 AM
    I'd do 6 or 8 hours of lighting...ever

6. Mg's Jungle

Oct 15, 2017

I'm gonna try that..I have cut back to 9 but gonna start going down and then achnid (however you spell that) lightening down. I have been doing 25% to 50% water changes and it's clearing up nicely...Could plants be causing it too?

7. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    35 minutes ago
    Jessica
    Blue Green Algae is really a bacteria, and not easy to rid. It probably came in with the plants.

8. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Sunday at 12:17 AM
    BGA is present in all conditions, everywhere! Like most algae & bacteria, it's just waiting to overtake any tank, any time. Lots of water changes help...but you may need to look to an antibiotic AFTER you fix what's wrong with your tank parameters.

Do you live in Austratalia? Just guessing from the g'day, lol. You may not have as many options as we in the States have...