Missing Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SharkBait

Crazed Photographer
Feb 28, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.adadsadventures.ca
Camera Used
Nikon D7100
It's been about 8 years since I last posted...

But I am curious.. I recently bought a crown-fin betta for my son about a month ago and last night I couldn't find him. Today he's still not there.

I did a partial water change and pulled out the decorations. His body isnt anywhere in the tank or in the decorations or under my stumpy amazon sword.

There are only 2 glow-light tetras in the tank with him. Would have they eaten the entire betta body if the betta died? I don't see why he would have died. He looked fine, swimming around, flaring his gills and fins at the edges of the tank etc. Just last night and today.. poof.. nothing.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Is the tank covered? If not, check on the area outside the tank. Bettas are jumpers, and in an uncovered tank, that often means they carpet surf.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Since bettas can breathe atmospheric air they can jump out & survive for a little while...keep looking under & around the tank. Might be a dust covered blob or in a tiny bit of water or damp carpet. Keep looking...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
any other pets in the house?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope, unlikely. Anything under about 4 inches will just dry up without really rotting. That is definitely a large enough opening for a betta to get through. Check underneath anything nearby, since they will flop around quite a bit. I had a betta make it 6+ feet from where it hit the carpet--and it landed behind the tank, where I can't get to with the vacuum so it was covered in dust and cat hair.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store