58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow. lots been going on in here lately! I agree the bamboo shrimp looks better (but what do I know, I've never kept 1). You & RCS, ugh, you're maybe worse than I am...but you still have some & I don't, so you win!

I'd keep roselines in a 4ft tank & have. They're more mellow than danios IMO, & probably more shrimp safe...but not too much more.

SRBN look great! Freckles I'm putting down to your weird water or a lineage thing. Embrace the spots! That little 1 looks quite red! I thought of your guys when I saw small SRBN at a lfs recently.

So what's with tearing down the 72g? This seems like news to me...a vacation epiphany? Spring cleaning thing? Need to move it 6 inches to the left, lol?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Wow. lots been going on in here lately! I agree the bamboo shrimp looks better (but what do I know, I've never kept 1). You & RCS, ugh, you're maybe worse than I am...but you still have some & I don't, so you win!

I'd keep roselines in a 4ft tank & have. They're more mellow than danios IMO, & probably more shrimp safe...but not too much more.

SRBN look great! Freckles I'm putting down to your weird water or a lineage thing. Embrace the spots! That little 1 looks quite red! I thought of your guys when I saw small SRBN at a lfs recently.

So what's with tearing down the 72g? This seems like news to me...a vacation epiphany? Spring cleaning thing? Need to move it 6 inches to the left, lol?
Just saw the kuhli loach so I'm a liar already lol.

The danios are certainly anything but mellow! They chase everything lol. Didn't see that behavior in QT with nothing to chase.

I wanted to breed the SRBN eventually but other than that I do embrace the freckles, makes then unique. The littler guys look more red because they don't have the freckles, i think.

Yup, just 4 inches to left actually, jk lol. I've been talking about the 72g coming down for awhile now because we are getting my recently deceased uncle's furniture and the tank just won't fit anymore. We tried up until the last minute to keep the tank but boy it's a lot of furniture for our tiny house! lol So no tank longer than 36" in my near future. :( (although I am totally trying to redo- my entertainment center upstairs to accommodate a 4' tank but something smaller in volume due to weight restrictions, like a 40 long or something. I think that's the biggest I could go lengthwise without getting something custom. Would love like a 8' long x 12"W x 16"H or something crazy like that!)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oooh, a custom tank just for you available space...did you win the lottery? I remember the uncle's big furniture but I thought that was just in your parent's downstairs area? Apparently not...

We do the best we can, where we can, that's all we can do, hugs! You'll make it work in some way.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oooh, a custom tank just for you available space...did you win the lottery? I remember the uncle's big furniture but I thought that was just in your parent's downstairs area? Apparently not...

We do the best we can, where we can, that's all we can do, hugs! You'll make it work in some way.
I wish! (lottery) Furniture is in the rents living room but that's where the 72g is (was :(). My apartment is a good size but shaped oddly and can't handle the weight of a 70+ anywhere where there is 48" of space.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Breeder tank? I've never had 1 but I like the shape
? What size? For what? I have 40 breeders and I use them up here but I only have 1 stand for it and the 58g is on it currently but I could add another 40B somewhere. I MIGHT be able to do a 55g in one spot but the beams run the wrong way so I think a 40 long is the best option.

Everyone seems to be doing well although I didn't see my rummynose today but he likes to hang out low and there are a lot of plants in that area. I did see the bamboo though....in the overflow box. Wonder if that is gonna be an ongoing problem with their love of flow? Might have to address that. Anyway, couldn't get him into the net, he is smart for a shrimp! So I got to pick him for the first time. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Bad news first, my bamboo shrimp died. It just never started eating properly. I tried target feeding all sorts of things, added a powerhead but he just never put his little fans out.

Good news last, it finally happened! The smallest BN has 2 tiny bristles! I'm pumped. Although since moving to this tank the 2 small ones that were completely orange/red no are getting the freckles like the big guys so that's a bit of a bummer but whatever. The big guys are 2.5" now and I'm fairly certain they are females.

The usteriana is a little too happy and we are approaching it's time limit in this tank. So I'm starting to consider a complete rescape as I expect removing the monster will disrupt everything.

Besides the bamboo shrimp everyone's super. Danios are fat, active and not at all skittish now. I see dominance behavior in the bristlenoses, maybe even breeding behavior. Might be time to setup some proper caves. All my senior citizens have adjusted swimmingly and are looking better than ever. There is even still a decent colony of RCS, some looking sakura level too.

Not much to show from last pictures, it's just on cruise control now. But maybe I'll get some pictures later.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats on the BN bristles & happy shrimp! (RIP Bamboo shrimp) Mine were the other way, males much bigger than females. I kept a female & gave away the rest.

Of course we need pics, eventually.

Thanks for the update!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Love learning something new. Tonight I was sitting looking at my tanks up close, which I never actually do and noticed my (crazy zippy) danios have little whiskers! To the internet I went and apparently that is totally normal. Kinda shameful I've had them this long without knowing this but I give myself a break because they are SUPER hard to see lol.

BTW pretty sure I have 1 male and 12 females.

Here is a little bit of the danios and a good close-up of my 8+yr old rummy nose. Rummys eyesight is really starting to go and he has a hard time finding food so he's getting skinny.

Short clip of the freckle super red BNs

Can see how well that 1 batch of Kompact is doing
IMG_4154.JPG IMG_4155.JPGIMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4159.JPG
Haven't cleaned the glass in months! Plants are wild but metallic reds are suffering. Can see one of the cardinals here and I wish I got better pics of them cause the look amazing in this tank/light.
IMG_4166.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You know I don't often like long fins but your danios look great! As do you "freckled" plecos & cardinal!

It's sad to have our fish grow but at 8+ years old, you should be proud of your rummies longevity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store