Humidity?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
Hey guys so real quick background information. I work at a nature center in Weslaco, TX, and we just installed two tanks (fresh & saltwater). Now the other park technician took lead in the tank setup because he used to work at a pet store and he has experience with saltwater tanks. We basically made everything ourselves except for some parts we ordered online (protein skimmer, pump, etc.) and it seems to be working fine, but we keep having to refill the tank with water, i'm pretty sure its due to the loss of water via humidity, I just wanted to know if we should buy some plexiglass and just cover the sump.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you want to reduce evaporation, covers are a must IMO.

Reactions: tanker

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yep, like Joel said.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed, a cover is important...but so is monitoring salinity. If water is evaporating, salinity is climbing, and that can have a negative impact on the occupants. Combined with salt creep, evaporation replacement can result in salinity climbing over time if you aren't also doing regular water changes and testing salinity regularly.

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
Agreed, a cover is important...but so is monitoring salinity. If water is evaporating, salinity is climbing, and that can have a negative impact on the occupants. Combined with salt creep, evaporation replacement can result in salinity climbing over time if you aren't also doing regular water changes and testing salinity regularly.
yeah unfortunately our yellow tang, damsel, and dotteyback passed

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't blame that on the salinity changes. Gradual salinity changes impact invertebrates more than fish. How was the tank cycled? How long after cycling were the fish put in?

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
I wouldn't blame that on the salinity changes. Gradual salinity changes impact invertebrates more than fish. How was the tank cycled? How long after cycling were the fish put in?
We left the pumps running and circulating through the tank and sump for about 3-4 weeks. Then we started placing the fish 2 weeks later.

Franco Salinas

AC Members
May 1, 2018
Okay here are a couple pictures of our setup at work, as of right now though it does seem like every fish is doing well (coral banded shrimp, gobbie, maroon clown fish, long tentacle anenomi, and two small blue fishes sorry about not knowing the names and spelling of some of the fish, still new to this). Also the guy who is in charge of the tanks said that for some reason the protein skimmer isn't working, in the picture you can see what he means (it looks like a volcano experiment).

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store