Amazontanklvr's tank build/blog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
& that's how MTS starts...just a QT, just a grow out tank...& before you know it you need more & more tanks! I've actually cut down my number of tanks these days, 4 instead of 10 or so...but not all even have fish yet...there's time to find the perfect fish for them...I'm pretty picky in my old (-ish) age

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
You're more tank welcome! Hope you enjoy.

Here is my idea (I get to have my cake and eat it too! lol);

I get a pair of N. anomala. Then after awhile move them to a breeding tank. Then replace them with a pair/trio of A. agassizii. If the male N. anomala is rejected by the female I'll move his back to the 36. Sound like a good plan?
Well usually breeding tanks are only temporary, sorta like a honeymoon, but after they are done, they need somewhere to go, and breeding apistos are much nastier.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
& that's how MTS starts...just a QT, just a grow out tank...& before you know it you need more & more tanks! I've actually cut down my number of tanks these days, 4 instead of 10 or so...but not all even have fish yet...there's time to find the perfect fish for them...I'm pretty picky in my old (-ish) age
haha
Well usually breeding tanks are only temporary, sorta like a honeymoon, but after they are done, they need somewhere to go, and breeding apistos are much nastier.
I'm aware of that. I do plant to keep the female full time in there though.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
What do you mean full time? They should be relocated to the bigger tank eventually. Curviceps cannot live the best quality of life in a 10g.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
What do you mean full time? They should be relocated to the bigger tank eventually. Curviceps cannot live the best quality of life in a 10g.
By that i meant I let the female raise the fry in there for however long (~1 month) then move her back to the main tank for ~week and then mmove them back to the breeding thank. So not 'full time' but most of the time. To be clear it's N. anomala.

Reactions: angelcraze

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Before you start breeding are you aware of the time and dedication fry require? Can you acsess BBS? Can you do daily WC

Also cichlids do bi-parental care.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Before you start breeding are you aware of the time and dedication fry require? Can you acsess BBS? Can you do daily WC

Also cichlids do bi-parental care.
Yes, yes (although someone recommended olden pearls to me so I'm researching them) and yes. What % pwc would you do? Like 10-20?

Not all cichlids and it depends on the individual fish. There is a chance that the female of some species (as in apistos, nannacara, discus etc.) will reject the male's help of raising the fry. In some species suck as keyholes the male never helps with the brood. I'm just making plants if the male doesn't work. But if he helps that's be great with me!

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Do you have any proof that convinced you of the topic that cichlids often go towards maternal care? I am interested in it :) Because I am part of a discus board and I read alot of documentation that discus perform bi-parental care.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Do you have any proof that convinced you of the topic that cichlids often go towards maternal care? I am interested in it :) Because I am part of a discus board and I read alot of documentation that discus perform bi-parental care.
Yes. I don't have time right now but will get you some later tonight if not tomorrow. You are correct that most discus exhibit bi-parental care but on a rare occasion the don't. Also sometimes the male is too hard on the female and so he has to be removed for the female's well being. Are you on DM?

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Yes, but the beating of either of the parents is uncommon and the parents should be separated by means of a divider so fry can latch on to parents still...

All species can exhibit beatings of either sex, does not directly mean only one parent is caring for fry, not sure what is your point? I would not rely on the fact that you will need to separate, anomola are notorious for beating other tankmates during spawning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store