Amazontanklvr's tank build/blog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Whew! Your thread is making me dizzy, my head is spinning (Tommy James & The Shondells reference, lol...yep, I'm old ). So you have 2 angels in a tank barely big enough for them (but 1 is stunted) & want to add how many dwarf cichlids of how many species? And tetras ? & maybe something else? NO!!, You have or want more than 3 smallish tanks can handle healthfully.

Can you please update the fish & tanks you realistically have or will have very shortly. Breeding fish needs room, water changes, appropriate foods & usually space away from the adults. Oh & a plan for any fry that will (hopefully) grow to a sellable size? I've been there, even "cool" fish need a market...especially 1s like cichlids that may breed every 30 days...

I'm not trying to crush your dreams, just suggesting you slow down. Get a bit of experience with 1 species & at least another tank or 2. I understand the economics of buying a bunch of fish at 1 time...but it doesn't hold up over time, a short time....& then there's the work of many tanks.. Go slow is my best advice, think some more!
Yes, I aware that I'm pushing it with the angels. They were in a 20h for most of their lives so this is a big upgrade for them (I didn't do my research when I got them ~3 years ago :(). One pair/trio of apistos or N. anomala. I do over filter (AC70) and may get another filter soon.

36 bow, 10 gal, 20h. The 10 and 20 will be for breeding. I may get the 1 sooner to use as a qt tank.

I totally understand. That's part of the reason I'm hesitating. I've also been thinking this over for months. I think I may just get the kerris and 2-3 more corys for now (at different times) and see how the tank goes for ~1-2 months, then get a dc.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I still think you should have a physical second tank before you get more cichlids. And you should use one as a QT tank, not breeding purposes.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
I still think you should have a physical second tank before you get more cichlids. And you should use one as a QT tank, not breeding purposes.
The qt would turn into a breeding thank.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Personally I don't think thats a good idea because you could spread pathogens to fry.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Personally I don't think thats a good idea because you could spread pathogens to fry.
I'd empty the tank and am willing to re-cycle it if necessary.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My best suggestion is to get a 20g long or 29g (same footprint). Put the dwarf cichlids in (your choice) if it's cycled!!! & let them pair up. Pick the 2 that seem to be a pair a soon as you can sex them & rehome the rest ASAP or at least move "extras" into the angel tank. Then, if your pair are compatible, allow them to breed. It may take a round or 3 before they catch onto breeding, it's not unusual for cichlids to need a practice round or so. Sometimes males are too young ( or stupid, whatever) to be ready to breed when the (often smaller) females are ready to go! She may beat the crap out of him...or even kill him, especially if he eats the eggs or tiny fry.

Then when you get free swimming fry, appropriate foods & the parents lose interest in doing the work in raising fry (they'll start eating them, that's a good hint). Remove the parents & put them back in the angel tank...& then your angel tank will be overstocked.

This is not including corys, they & most cichlids count as bottom fish...& corys really don't understand the concept of territories. This can cause problems with your dwarf cichlids, they might be small but they DO want territories!

All this isn't a great answer to all your fish, current & future, or even a long term 1. Again, think hard!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
My best suggestion is to get a 20g long or 29g (same footprint). Put the dwarf cichlids in (your choice) if it's cycled!!! & let them pair up. Pick the 2 that seem to be a pair a soon as you can sex them & rehome the rest ASAP or at least move "extras" into the angel tank. Then, if your pair are compatible, allow them to breed. It may take a round or 3 before they catch onto breeding, it's not unusual for cichlids to need a practice round or so. Sometimes males are too young ( or stupid, whatever) to be ready to breed when the (often smaller) females are ready to go! She may beat the crap out of him...or even kill him, especially if he eats the eggs or tiny fry.

Then when you get free swimming fry, appropriate foods & the parents lose interest in doing the work in raising fry (they'll start eating them, that's a good hint). Remove the parents & put them back in the angel tank...& then your angel tank will be overstocked.

This is not including corys, they & most cichlids count as bottom fish...& corys really don't understand the concept of territories. This can cause problems with your dwarf cichlids, they might be small but they DO want territories!

All this isn't a great answer to all your fish, current & future, or even a long term 1. Again, think hard!
I don't have the room for a 20l or 29. I have room for 2 10s and a 20h. Im aware that it may take some time for them to geet used to it. lol. I'd prefer to pick a pair form my LFS if I can. I will monitor them for the very same reason.

I can handle an over stock but not too much territorial aggression. So I have this idea: Breed the in the 10, mover the parents to the 20, put them in the other 10 to breed, split the fry between the 20 and 10 and grow them out in them.

I know that corys aren't exactly the brightest. lol That's why I'm debating restocking their school. They were in a larger school at one point.

I know. Im thnnking. lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I thought you were still thinking of 6 aquabid or wetspot cichlids. You may have said (sorry doing taxes).

To some extent it will depend on how many fry survive to grow them out. It may take a couple tries for the parents to get up max healthy spawns. It also good to let them tend to eggs & care for fry for a little while. They will help pick out "bad" eggs (infertile or fungus-y) & herd/move fry. Keep an eye especially on the male at first. He'll lose interest & be ready to breed again before (most) females are bored with babies. You might think about putting the male in with the angels & let the female have some alone time...until she & you are ready to do it again.

I know it'll seem cool, it is! But even 1 group of fry to grow up is lots of work. & no, you can't easily try it with different age fry in the same tank. Bigger fish will eat or out outcompete smaller 1s.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Oh, I thought you were still thinking of 6 aquabid or wetspot cichlids. You may have said (sorry doing taxes).

To some extent it will depend on how many fry survive to grow them out. It may take a couple tries for the parents to get up max healthy spawns. It also good to let them tend to eggs & care for fry for a little while. They will help pick out "bad" eggs (infertile or fungus-y) & herd/move fry. Keep an eye especially on the male at first. He'll lose interest & be ready to breed again before (most) females are bored with babies. You might think about putting the male in with the angels & let the female have some alone time...until she & you are ready to do it again.

I know it'll seem cool, it is! But even 1 group of fry to grow up is lots of work. & no, you can't easily try it with different age fry in the same tank. Bigger fish will eat or out outcompete smaller 1s.
Oh, no. The aquabid thing closed a week ago.

I'm thinking that'll get a trio of gdc let the male chose his partner then move the pair to the 10 and let them do their thing. Then move the male back to the 36 like you suggested but he'll have a partner there too. If the do breed by any chance the fry/eggs wont be cared after/removed.

I realize that.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store