Amazontanklvr's tank build/blog

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Yes, but the beating of either of the parents is uncommon and the parents should be separated by means of a divider so fry can latch on to parents still...

All species can exhibit beatings of either sex, does not directly mean only one parent is caring for fry, not sure what is your point? I would not rely on the fact that you will need to separate, anomola are notorious for beating other tankmates during spawning.
Agreed.

I'm not going to comment on this. That was just a back up plan if things don't work out.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Well I found a place that I can get N. anomala online! They also sell I. kerri (in packs of 6 so I'll get two)! I have to contact them to see if I can get a sexed pair. Im so excited!

Reactions: angelcraze

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Just going to put it out there 12 kerris, a pair of angels and a pair of goldeneyes is overstocked and sounds prone to territorial aggression so first regarding nitrates I would do 2x weekly water changes or cut out either one pack of kerri or the goldeneyes.

Also you have 2 cories. Why not bump those up instead of getting new fish?

Reactions: fishorama

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Just going to put it out there 12 kerris, a pair of angels and a pair of goldeneyes is overstocked and sounds prone to territorial aggression so first regarding nitrates I would do 2x weekly water changes or cut out either one pack of kerri or the goldeneyes.

Also you have 2 cories. Why not bump those up instead of getting new fish?
Hhm. ok so
6 kerris
2 gdc
2 angels
4-6 corys
And one 10% pwc and one 50% a week?

sound good?

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
I personally would cut out the goldeneyes and up kerris and cories. Just my taste.:)

But if you want to stock that way, do 2 50% WC weekly. 10% is like spitting in the ocean.

Also do you have another tank for 'breeding'?

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
hhhm. Im still not sure. Good idea but I LOVE dwarf cichlids. Maybe I'll just get the kerris and corys now and get the dwarf cichlids later. But I wouldn't want to pay for shipping on for just them. I just need to think.

15 and 60? (6% less a week but still)

Not yet. I'm still not sure if I'll even get them right now. But im not sure if how much they'd be at my LFS. But im already at my max price online and throught ce I'd probably pay less. This is still being worked on. But I would have a breeding tank by the time they started to breed.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
The point of water changes is to remove nitrates and whatever else builds up. You can't short on water changes if you have overstocked tanks. If you overstock its a responsibility to do large WC.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
The point of water changes is to remove nitrates and whatever else builds up. You can't short on water changes if you have overstocked tanks. If you overstock its a responsibility to do large WC.
Im aware of that. But I also have a test kit that measures Nitrate that I can use to tell when I need a pwc. Im not saying that would replace PWCs though and i acknowledge that it would have to be done frequentally. The tank will also be heavily planted (once I upgrade lighting. Which is within this month) with plants like stargrass that readialy consume nutrients including nitrate for the water column. I know of the responsibilities that I have when over stocking. :) (hopefully i didnt seem rude)

Reactions: the loach

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Whew! Your thread is making me dizzy, my head is spinning (Tommy James & The Shondells reference, lol...yep, I'm old ). So you have 2 angels in a tank barely big enough for them (but 1 is stunted) & want to add how many dwarf cichlids of how many species? And tetras ? & maybe something else? NO!!, You have or want more than 3 smallish tanks can handle healthfully.

Can you please update the fish & tanks you realistically have or will have very shortly. Breeding fish needs room, water changes, appropriate foods & usually space away from the adults. Oh & a plan for any fry that will (hopefully) grow to a sellable size? I've been there, even "cool" fish need a market...especially 1s like cichlids that may breed every 30 days...

I'm not trying to crush your dreams, just suggesting you slow down. Get a bit of experience with 1 species & at least another tank or 2. I understand the economics of buying a bunch of fish at 1 time...but it doesn't hold up over time, a short time....& then there's the work of many tanks.. Go slow is my best advice, think some more!

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Whew! Your thread is making me dizzy, my head is spinning (Tommy James & The Shondells reference, lol...yep, I'm old ). So you have 2 angels in a tank barely big enough for them (but 1 is stunted) & want to add how many dwarf cichlids of how many species? And tetras ? & maybe something else? NO!!, You have or want more than 3 smallish tanks can handle healthfully.

Can you please update the fish & tanks you realistically have or will have very shortly. Breeding fish needs room, water changes, appropriate foods & usually space away from the adults. Oh & a plan for any fry that will (hopefully) grow to a sellable size? I've been there, even "cool" fish need a market...especially 1s like cichlids that may breed every 30 days...

I'm not trying to crush your dreams, just suggesting you slow down. Get a bit of experience with 1 species & at least another tank or 2. I understand the economics of buying a bunch of fish at 1 time...but it doesn't hold up over time, a short time....& then there's the work of many tanks.. Go slow is my best advice, think some more!
I 100% agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store