Red markings on angel fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
If it is a condition, there has to be a cause, do check the pH and other parameters, though you said it has been set up for years and you change 30% every week? Is it even possible for the temperature to drop quickly ? Which temperature is it? Do post more and better pics, the pics you posted aren't bad, but like I said not good enough to see what is going on.
I am in tropic zone, so mostly the temperature is between 25-30 degrees celcius nowadays. I dont think the temperature drops quickly at my place. Could you suggest me causes of sudden temperature drops ?
for your reference I have attached few more pics. Hope thats helpful.

IMG_20200418_165000.jpg

IMG_20200418_165015.jpg

IMG_20200418_165036.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
But this 'mark' is where their pectoral fins come out right? Do you happen to have a high flow in there? What kind of filtration?
We can rule out temperature drops when you're in the tropics. It's good to have more pictures for comparison, but I still can't see clearly what is going on. When you say it is growing don't you mean it has become darker?
Other than that they look well fed, and not all seem to have the same deep red color there, though that might just be the pictures.
Is your camera able to take a video?

Reactions: angelcraze

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
Yes at the start of pectoral and dorsal fin and above mouth part.
I have a top filter but it has oxygen flow.
It was rarely visible earlier but now I can see those marks clearly.
I will take a video to show you better and also oxygen flow.

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
That's a good point Loach, maybe there is a lot of flow? Angelfish catch the drift like sailboats and will need to move their pectorals all the time to keep in place.

About the koi thing, these are not koi angels, they are gold and gold marbles. Koi will not have any horizontal striations in the dorsal fin, it will be clear. As young angels, their gill plates will be thinner (pink tissue shows thru) and transparent, causing a blushing cheek area. As the fish matures, the gill plate hardens (pink colour sometimes fades completely) and patches of guanine deposits randomly express on the body.
20191105_154630.jpg
Here's my blushing platinum as a young angel. Not a koi because it doesn't have a marble gene and two blue genes make it platinum, but you can see the gill plate has not hardened and there are no striations in any of the fins.

From what I know about septicemia, there is a bacterial type and viral. I strongly recommend you test the water, there are test kits available to order. But if it's viral, there's a chance the fish have it for life. If params and conditions are kept up, the fish can live years and it can sort of go into remission. For bacterial septicemia, the fish would suffer more and not last that long. Since all of them have it, it's either a play with the camera/ lighting or viral septicemia (I would say).

Last edited:

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I think I see it now. I agree with Angels that could be septicemia, you could try Artemiss if you can get that, it reduces inflammations, if it does nothing at least it is harmless for your nitrifying bacteria and plants. Antibiotics will do nothing if it is a virus, and will kill your nitrifying bacteria.

Last edited:
Reactions: angelcraze

khalidmankar

AC Members
Apr 18, 2020
I have a top filter but it has oxygen flow.
It was rarely visible earlier but now I can see those marks clearly.
I will take a video to show you better and also oxygen flow.
I think I see it now. I agree with Angels that could be septicemia, you could try Artemiss if you can get that, it reduces inflammations, if it does nothing at least it is harmless for your nitrifying bacteria and plants. Antibiotics will do nothing if it is a virus, and will kill your nitrifying bacteria.
Thank you for explaining. I appreciate your help. I just checked, artemiss is available on Amazon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store