Snails! Help me stop this

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
As I have previously mentioned in one of my posts I acquired 3 snails which I believe came with my amazon swordplant. When i started my fish tank i never had the intention of getting snails and was interested in having shrimps, anyway, i got these critters and i've kind of grown to like them. Anyway i need help with the following:

1. Identifying these snails, I even went back to the store and check any kind of snail they had and it was mystery snail but those snail were huge like the palm of my hand while these never grow much than the largest in the picture.
P_20200329_123956.jpg

2. My issue is this: they die in the intake tube of the filter. I found it strange when my first snail died because they go everywhere in the tank, intake tube including but they never got stuck, however, i noticed it was strange that the snail was not moving after 1-2 days, even after unplugging the filter so it would stop sucking in but it only fell a little and if i plugged the filter back on then the snail would move up. i checked inside the intake and saw flesh of snail not retracting so i gently pulled out the snail and the flesh was torn.
P_20200420_134932.jpg

this has happened like 3 times already and now i get nervous every time one of the snails go near the intake; strangely, this only happens when they have grown and not while they are still little.

What can i do to prevent this? why does it happen when they have grown despite snails not getting sucked out or anything while still little?

one last thing: which snails are these? these are completely unrelated to the other above
P_20200506_142312.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Your 1st snail pic is of Ramshorn snails and it sounds as if their bodies are getting sucked into the filter intake tube. Put a pre-filter over the intake as suggested by Teddy's Mom.

The 2nd snail pic are either pond snails or bladder snails. See post #4 in the following topic from TPT Pond or bladder snail

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I'm not an expert, but it seems like you could solve the filter intake problem by putting a "pre-filter" over the intake. For example: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/medium-pre-filter-sponge?_pos=4&_sid=af975759f&_ss=r
Your 1st snail pic is of Ramshorn snails and it sounds as if their bodies are getting sucked into the filter intake tube. Put a pre-filter over the intake as suggested by Teddy's Mom.

The 2nd snail pic are either pond snails or bladder snails. See post #4 in the following topic from TPT Pond or bladder snail
thank you both.

Will go out today and see if i can get a pre filter sponge

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I started this thread 3 years ago (time flies). Now I have 1 ramshorn and 1 nerite. I've had the nerite for 3 months now

I have 2 questions:
1. though I doubt it, are these two snails able to reproduce? if not
2. are either of these snails able to reproduce asexually? I'm thinking the nerite can because I've had the ramshorn for longer and have not seen laid eggs while it was only the ramshorn.

P_20230924_102153.jpg

P_20230924_102132.jpg

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Q1 - won't reproduce together
Q2 - the female Nerite will lay eggs regardless if there are any other snails in the tank. The eggs may hatch but the young will not survive.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Q1 - won't reproduce together
Q2 - the female Nerite will lay eggs regardless if there are any other snails in the tank. The eggs may hatch but the young will not survive.
huh, i thought all snails were hermaphrodite and still needed a mate to reproduce

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store