Looking for help sexing my Danios

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Maplesb

AC Members
Dec 22, 2020
Evening all,

New to owning fish and new to the forum so figured this was the most logical place to post, though please correct me if I'm wrong!

My partner and I have bought home 3 beautiful Danios - two Zebra and a Leopard. We are intending to add a couple more in the next few weeks, once these guys are settled in and we're happy the water chemistry (I hope that's the correct term) is stable.

We're fairly confident we have a male and a female Zebra but we can't agree on the sex of the Leopard, can anyone help us determine once and for all?

I've attached some images (please forgive my terrible photography, they are fabulous fish but particularly speedy!).

Any help would be appreciated and of course any additional advice always welcome!

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20201222_220743.jpg

View attachment IMG_20201222_220848.jpg

IMG_20201222_221423.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley and Sprinkle

Maplesb

AC Members
Dec 22, 2020
You should have gotten 6 in the first place. They like company ?
I'd have taken the whole stock home if I could but lfs advised 3 at a time to start with for water monitoring purposes. Is there any truth to that or are we unnecessarily depriving these guys of friends?

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I'd have taken the whole stock home if I could but lfs advised 3 at a time to start with for water monitoring purposes. Is there any truth to that or are we unnecessarily depriving these guys of friends?
The store is lying. If you buy 6 of them at once there is no way you would have water problems, in my exp never ever had such problem as ammonia, nitrite or nitrate probs ;) Go back there, get 6 more and they will be the happiest fishys ever :D
And to sex them, I have 6 white clouds so it is the same stuff, when females mature (when ya get them from store they usually are already) they will get plump in size where males will be thinner than females.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum M Maplesb !

What are the dimensions of the aquarium?

Did you cycle it before adding fish? Cycling is the process to allow the fish to be safe in the tank with no harmful ammonia or nitrite.

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd say the leopard is female. They are just a color variety of zebras, the same species. I hope you have at least a 20g tank & a tight lid, they can jump! & swim fast. You have a pretty tank, even if some plants are fake.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Maplesb

AC Members
Dec 22, 2020
Welcome to the forum M Maplesb !

What are the dimensions of the aquarium?

Did you cycle it before adding fish? Cycling is the process to allow the fish to be safe in the tank with no harmful ammonia or nitrite.
Tank dimensions are 58cm x 30cm x 45cm (LxWxH) but now I'm thinking that needs upgrading! We did indeed cycle it (good to know that's what it's called!) and lfs required a water sample to test before they'd let us take any fish home. We've got home testing kits too though if you can suggest a good brand, that would be good. We have tetra 6 in 1 strips for now.

Maplesb

AC Members
Dec 22, 2020
I'd say the leopard is female. They are just a color variety of zebras, the same species. I hope you have at least a 20g tank & a tight lid, they can jump! & swim fast. You have a pretty tank, even if some plants are fake.
That's what I suspected also, thank you. They've been zooming up and down but not much jumping as of yet! Will double check the lid in case one of them makes a bid for freedom ?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Glad to hear the tank was cycled and the LFS required a sample before selling fish!

Your tank is approx. 21 Gallons and roughly 23"L x 12"W x 18"H for those of us in the U.S. I'll let others make some stocking recommendations for you.

I like the API Master Test kit which includes the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and low/high pH test vials and reagents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store