Love my dojo loaches!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've been on a casual lookout for these guys for years. Stores in my area cannot order or sell them to you because of them being on an invasive species list. I don't get that because I don't believe these loaches could survive the ~6months worth of freezing conditions my area has and I've certainly never seen one in local waterways. I eventually stumbled upon a source and got three. Because of them and a $1/gal sale at Petco, I broke down an older 29gal setup I had going and moved it's contents (endlers, assassin snails and plants) into a brand new sub-tropical 55gal setup for the new dojos.

They're so cute and active! Please forgive my horrible picture taking skills and equipment. Plus is tough to get a still shot. Two of them are speckled greenish-brown and one is a cool silvery-grey specked. The like lounging on the anubia leaves and burrowing through everything.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats! How big are they? Trying to guess by the anubias leaves

I've always wanted to try them but they were either illegal (MA) or I didn't have a good tank for them (substrate plants). I hope you have a good cover, I hear they're jumpers...& hand feeding cuddlers, lol.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Congratulations on finding them. Contrary to popular belief, dojo loaches are not tropical or subtropical but temperate, like goldfish. Yes, they can survive a harsh winter under ice (providing the pond is 3+ ft deep) As you will find they are more social as cories, neons, whatever, the more you have the merrier. I would call them more climbers as jumpers but yes the cover needs to be really tight, think of it in terms of keeping rodents or lizards more as fish.

It's not sick or tamed, they are just very friendly... though you will find they have their own personalities and one will like it more as the other. Just don't wake them to do anything, they hate that...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Cool fish! I actually inherited one of these about ten years ago. I enjoyed him. I haven't seen one for sale here in a long time, probably because the game and fish started enforcing the law a little better, which is that it's illegal to sell or possess any fish that can survive below 50 degrees F. It's kind of pointless, cuz anyone here can order just about anything they want on-line, and it will be shipped without the G&F even knowing.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I've been on a casual lookout for these guys for years. Stores in my area cannot order or sell them to you because of them being on an invasive species list. I don't get that because I don't believe these loaches could survive the ~6months worth of freezing conditions my area has and I've certainly never seen one in local waterways. I eventually stumbled upon a source and got three. Because of them and a $1/gal sale at Petco, I broke down an older 29gal setup I had going and moved it's contents (endlers, assassin snails and plants) into a brand new sub-tropical 55gal setup for the new dojos.

They're so cute and active! Please forgive my horrible picture taking skills and equipment. Plus is tough to get a still shot. Two of them are speckled greenish-brown and one is a cool silvery-grey specked. The like lounging on the anubia leaves and burrowing through everything.

Nice!! I had an 11” dojo a few years ago. I love those guys, if they didn’t prefer colder water I’d put a couple with my polys.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Congrats! How big are they? Trying to guess by the anubias leaves

I've always wanted to try them but they were either illegal (MA) or I didn't have a good tank for them (substrate plants). I hope you have a good cover, I hear they're jumpers...& hand feeding cuddlers, lol.
They're about 4" I've got a mix of very fine, maybe a size or two above sand grain sized gravel and small round pebble natural gravel. Most of it was out of 29g I took down and I added an additional 15lbs of the very fine grained stuff I got at a LFS. The only issue is it's white. It's all I could find in fine grained these days. It won't be white for long. LOL. I'm not sure the sad looking amazon sword will make it. It was buried in java moss in the 29 for a few years. It's never seen a root tab, ferts, etc.

Cool fish! I actually inherited one of these about ten years ago. I enjoyed him. I haven't seen one for sale here in a long time, probably because the game and fish started enforcing the law a little better, which is that it's illegal to sell or possess any fish that can survive below 50 degrees F. It's kind of pointless, cuz anyone here can order just about anything they want on-line, and it will be shipped without the G&F even knowing.

WYite
That is interesting about the 50degF thing. I wondered for years what the basis of this was. When I asked a LFS if he had them or could get them, his reply was, he agreed it was odd he hadn't seen them in years and he for sure would put them on his next order for me. He called me a few days later giving me the no-go info.

I did mail order them. This was my first live goods mail order and I couldn't believe how smooth and easy it was. I also couldn't believe they'd ship to where I live given it's winter. They shipped out on a Wednesday afternoon and were at my door at 1130 on Thursday! The heat pack, packed in with them was still warm. My bride and kids are kind of invested in these little guys now too because they did the unpacking and introduction for me as I was at work. Per my panicked instructions over the phone of course. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprinkle

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
They're about 4" I've got a mix of very fine, maybe a size or two above sand grain sized gravel and small round pebble natural gravel. Most of it was out of 29g I took down and I added an additional 15lbs of the very fine grained stuff I got at a LFS. The only issue is it's white. It's all I could find in fine grained these days. It won't be white for long. LOL. I'm not sure the sad looking amazon sword will make it. It was buried in java moss in the 29 for a few years. It's never seen a root tab, ferts, etc.

That is interesting about the 50degF thing. I wondered for years what the basis of this was. When I asked a LFS if he had them or could get them, his reply was, he agreed it was odd he hadn't seen them in years and he for sure would put them on his next order for me. He called me a few days later giving me the no-go info.

I did mail order them. This was my first live goods mail order and I couldn't believe how smooth and easy it was. I also couldn't believe they'd ship to where I live given it's winter. They shipped out on a Wednesday afternoon and were at my door at 1130 on Thursday! The heat pack, packed in with them was still warm. My bride and kids are kind of invested in these little guys now too because they did the unpacking and introduction for me as I was at work. Per my panicked instructions over the phone of course. LOL
Without actually asking I can make an educated guess on the 50 degree threshold, and I suspect it has to do with what temperature a fish reaches torpor and how long it can survive while in a torpid state below that temp. A fish doesn't just die in minutes at certain temperatures. Rather, a fish will gradually slow it's metabolism as temperature decreases until it reaches a near hibernation state, called torpor. If water temperature continues to drop, eventually the fish will reach a temperature that it can't withstand, it's body just shuts down completely, and it dies. Goldfish and temperate fish go into a torpid state at a much lower temp than tropicals, and can withstand temperatures that are near freezing. I'd guess that most tropicals reach torpor at a temp somewhat higher than 50 deg, and can't survive long term in water much below that 50 deg threshold while in a torpid state. If they can't survive they can't become invasive. I know waters here in Wyoming often get close to freezing and below 50 deg is a given in the winter, so the risk of a tropical becoming established as an invasive species is virtually nil. The risk of a non-native species from a temperate or even a sub-tropical area is much higher though because of a lower temperature threshold for death in cold waters, so these species are illegal to keep. I looked at where you're from, and I guess that water temps are similar in New York in the winter.

There are two tropical species established in Wyoming, however. Swordtails and convicts have established themselves in some hot springs in the northwest corner of the state, south of Yellowstone National Park. They, as well as guppies, have established themselves in a couple of hot springs in eastern Idaho. I read about a pond that is fed by a hot spring in Idaho that had swords, tiger barbs, convicts, and a species of tilapia in it that had developed it's own, stable balanced ecosystem. This is actually a problem, because hot springs already have they're own micro ecosystem and the addition of fish destroys or alters this. Some of these hot springs have microorganisms that only live in that one spring, so altering the ecosystem risks destroying entire species.

WYite

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
There are two tropical species established in Wyoming, however. Swordtails and convicts have established themselves in some hot springs in the northwest corner of the state, south of Yellowstone National Park. They, as well as guppies, have established themselves in a couple of hot springs in eastern Idaho. I read about a pond that is fed by a hot spring in Idaho that had swords, tiger barbs, convicts, and a species of tilapia in it that had developed it's own, stable balanced ecosystem.
Woah! Really?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I lost track of how many shirtless arm soaker attempts I've made at a scape so far. I'm not good at it. The only thing new in the tank is a large piece of fluval / Hagen mopani wood I mail ordered. It's bigger than a football After some attempts at using thread to tie the anubia to it, I gave up and used some smaller pieces of driftwood I had to weight down the shoots.

The dojos are so darn cute. They instantly investigate anything you are doing in the tank and will swim into your hand and nibble on you like the videos you see online. Two of mine are very curious and one is more cautious. Here's some horrible pics with a pic of my old pals that are on the tank above the dojo tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store