LED Lights Question / Thoughts / Opinions......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
A lot of poor generalizations being thrown around here. Here is an example of a tank I had with nothing more than two 9 watt 6000K CFLs over it. Zero ferts. Zero CO2 added. It depends what plants you have and how close they are to the light source to name just a few things. This was a 10g setup I had some years ago. The light could look like absolute crap to the human eye. If it's pumping out radiation your particular plants can use is all that matters.

Ye exactly. Thanks for backing me up here. Any light is good enough if you got plants that require either that or that.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, the poor generalizations stem from the fact you are using your opinion of what the "best light is" and not necessarily what the OP is referring to as best.

The fact remains there are options. Lots of them.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
IMO, the poor generalizations stem from the fact you are using your opinion of what the "best light is" and not necessarily what the OP is referring to as best.

The fact remains there are options. Lots of them.
If this or this works for the OP or for anyone else, use it if it’s great. The LED 6500k 806lms bulb i using changed direction of my b.caroliniana from tentacle position to straight position leaning towards the light and is flowering. My hornwort grows quite rapidly too, but with good light plants will no grow 15cm daily…it just takes time.
And Foo The Flowerhorn uses only 18watt (I use 8w=60w one) 6500k CLF light bulb and his plant matter grow rapidly with no single problem and he mentions no CRI either.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
He wants a cheaper Led, to grow plants, that preferably fits the entire length of his tank. My recommendation ticks all of those boxes. Or do you think I should have suggested fluorescent lighting?

It is not my opinion that high CRI lights are the best (and certainly in a tank). It is just a fact, and the reason why it exist as an unit. Everyone prefers colors as they would appear in natural lighting. The purpose of low CRI lights is to have a cheap alternative for like outdoor lighting or a toolshed. It is not meant to light your living room, desk or aquarium. I know some people do and pretend it doesn't matter, this doesn't make them right.
If this or this works for the OP or for anyone else, use it if it’s great. The LED 6500k 806lms bulb i using changed direction of my b.caroliniana from tentacle position to straight position leaning towards the light and is flowering.
And how many Lumen was your previous bulb?

My hornwort grows quite rapidly too, but with good light plants will no grow 15cm daily…it just takes time.
And Foo The Flowerhorn uses only 18watt (I use 8w=60w one) 6500k CLF light bulb and his plant matter grow rapidly with no single problem and he mentions no CRI either.
Yes they can easily grow several cm's a day. What Foo does or knows is irrelevant to the discussion. Facts, logic and arguments exist without him knowing, agreeing or existing. Watts and Lumens are meaningless without things as tank size and depth.

• Sad

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
And how many Lumen was your previous bulb?

Yes they can easily grow several cm's a day. What Foo does or knows is irrelevant to the discussion. Facts, logic and arguments exist without him knowing, agreeing or existing. Watts and Lumens are meaningless without things as tank size and depth.
100 summat lumens my previous bulb had.

I wanna remove the filter soon as me sparklers paired up i think so i need my plants to extremly faster grow.
What Foo does or knows (makes no sense 2 me but okay) i irrevelant???? I think it very revelant as I am saying not what he knows but what he does and how it is wrok for him. And that is irrevelant?? No no, it is revelant. Please watch all of his episodes, or just narrow it down to couple and see how it is work for him. Okay? Thank.
Watts & Lms r meaningful, they mean a lot. Lumens will be used by plants to photosynthesise and watts r units for power and they tell us how much power is generated.
Learned this on me science lesson, discuss this.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
100 summat lumens my previous bulb had.
So why are you surprised your plants are growing well after increasing the amount of light by 8?

What Foo does or knows (makes no sense 2 me but okay) i irrevelant???? I think it very revelant as I am saying not what he knows but what he does and how it is wrok for him. And that is irrevelant?? No no, it is revelant. Please watch all of his episodes, or just narrow it down to couple and see how it is work for him.
Don't know the guy (or fish?) and am not going to watch it. For what purpose? I did tell you Doug was not wrong when he said you can grow most plants with about any light, meaning also CFL's. It's simply not the best light, and there are objective criteria such as efficiency and CRI to establish this.
Watts & Lms r meaningful, they mean a lot. Lumens will be used by plants to photosynthesise and watts r units for power and they tell us how much power is generated.
Learned this on me science lesson, discuss this.
You failed your science lesson, read again what I wrote about Lumen and Watt.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
3. So why are you surprised your plants are growing well after increasing the amount of light by 8?

2. Don't know the guy (or fish?) and am not going to watch it. For what purpose? I did tell you Doug was not wrong when he said you can grow most plants with about any light, meaning also CFL's. It's simply not the best light, and there are objective criteria such as efficiency and CRI to establish this.

1. You failed your science lesson, read again what I wrote about Lumen and Watt.
1. Maybe my science teacher whom been teaching classes for 25yrs failed the lesson??

2. you said Dougall was wrong so he either is wrong or right. So CLF’s no best lights, so that is established. So to make CLF light better it must have high efficiency and CRI, so that too is established. But i got LED so.

3. why so??? Quality of my light is betters than my compact FL one where my plants never grew and barely grew.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
2. you said Dougall was wrong so he either is wrong or right. So CLF’s no best lights, so that is established. So to make CLF light better it must have high efficiency and CRI, so that too is established. But i got LED so.
He wasn't wrong when he said 'any light will grow most plants' but that is barely advice. I thought you got a new CLF?
3. why so??? Quality of my light is betters than my compact FL one where my plants never grew and barely grew.
But that is exactly what I've been trying to tell you and others, get enough light of the right quality and it will look better and the plants will grow better.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
He wasn't wrong when he said 'any light will grow most plants' but that is barely advice. I thought you got a new CLF?

But that is exactly what I've been trying to tell you and others, get enough light of the right quality and it will look better and the plants will grow better.
No, i got LED 6500k 806lms bulb for my lamp and i was saying that Foo got CLF 6500k 18w for his walstad and plants grow well for him.

Yea…………u did tell, i did so lolz

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
All too often these lines of discussion, which would otherwise be useful and fun, end up sucking big time. A pitty.
No need and we can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store