Too Many Guppy Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dily

AC Members
May 30, 2007
:help: I have too many fry. I have about 100 in a breeder's net so that I can see what colors they will be. I currently have a mix of about 30 guppies in my 30 gallon tank. How many adults can I have without over stressing the fish? This time of year my adults are very friendly and I am tired of dipping out babies. Is there another type of fish I can add that will eat the fry without picking the pretty fins off of my other fish? I live about an hour from the nearest fish store so trading them is out of the question. I feel like this little guy lately.:wall:

dmzAquarius

AC Members
Jan 27, 2004
Visit site
I have two panchax killifish that are quite small and attractive, and they will eat anything that will fit into their mouths that moves - and they are VERY fast. I had them in a tank with other fish, including two adult male fancy guppies, and they don't seem to look twice at anyone else except small moving things.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
you're going to have to release the babies before you can see what the colors will turn out to be..... aside from that, I would think anything but a betta or puffer would be fine.

Dily

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Dangerdoll, will it be okay to release that many fish at one time into my tank? I will still have to do something with the ones I don't care for. I have been giving them to my sons goldfish. I have thought about putting them in the beaver pond behind my house. It already has wild guppies called mosquito fish in it.

Caius

AC Members
Apr 13, 2007
New Jersey
In my guppy tank what fry my cory cats don't eat, the adult female guppies do. Sounds like you may be producing too many fry for a school of cories to handle, though...the suggestion of separating the males and females might end up being your best bet. Do they make dividers for a 30 gallon?

dmzAquarius

AC Members
Jan 27, 2004
Visit site
NEVER release pet fish into the wild!! This has often caused major problems for local ecosystems, no matter how harmless it may seem.

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
30 guppies in a 30 gallon is already to many...if you don't want any babies, just separate thmales from the females.
I second this!! or how about giving them to the pet store, or selling them, heck give them away ! where are you located? I will pay shipping on them if your not that far away!.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
The "wild guppies" are not the same species (or even the same genus) as your tropical guppies. In addition, as dmzAquarius said, the tank guppies may be carrying disease and parasites that could then enter the local environment, in addition to disrupting the balance of species in the water system. Releasing unwanted fish into the wild is NEVER, EVER a good idea.

Reactions: Jspigs

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Dangerdoll, will it be okay to release that many fish at one time into my tank? I will still have to do something with the ones I don't care for. I have been giving them to my sons goldfish. I have thought about putting them in the beaver pond behind my house. It already has wild guppies called mosquito fish in it.

lets reiterate this just in case.

DO NOT RELEASE AQUARIUM FISH OF ANY KIND INTO LOCAL WATERS!

:) its against the law and wrong to boot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store